Play mates sought
DO you recognise any of the players from this 1934 Barking netball team? The photo was sent in by Post reader Sue Smith, niece of Doris Nicholson, the girl kneeling in the front row, furthest to the left. The players all worked for the Barking Abbey Matc
DO you recognise any of the players from this 1934 Barking netball team?
The photo was sent in by Post reader Sue Smith, niece of Doris Nicholson, the girl kneeling in the front row, furthest to the left.
The players all worked for the Barking Abbey Matchbox Company and travelled around the country playing other office and factory teams.
Because the company was Swedish, the girls' outfits were yellow and blue.
You may also want to watch:
Doris, who was 17 when the photo was taken, is now 92 and lives at Millicent Preston Home in Barking.
Sue told the POST "My aunt would love to find out if any of the other players are still alive.
- 1 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 2 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 'Not a matter of shifting blame': Port victim's family receives another apology from detectives on case
- 5 Stephen Port inquests: Police failed to flag up 'significant' incident
- 6 Barking and Dagenham girls' district suffer heavy defeat to Chelmsford
- 7 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 8 'Life is hard, why make it harder?': Protesters call for new consultation over parking scheme roll out
- 9 Darren Rodwell: 'I attended Tory conference to lobby for underground A13'
- 10 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
"She tells me that the girls always looked forward to their matches. If they won they sang and danced on the coach all the way home."
Sue added: "Doris still loves to watch all types of sport, which I think keeps her young in mind and body."
If you recognise any of the players call the news desk on (020) 8477 3893.
Doris has provided us with the following names: back row (from left): Miss Ida, Nellie Clark, 'Mick' (surname not known) and Maggie Wheeler.
Front row (from left): Doris Nicholson (nee Morgan), Maggie East, Esther (surname not known). Doris doesn't know the name of the final girl.