More than 150 attend official opening of 'fabulous' pocket park in Barking
- Credit: Andrew Baker
A pocket park has officially opened with a celebration attended by more than 150 people, organisers have said.
Neighbours enjoyed giant chess and table tennis at Phoenix Park on the Gascoigne Estate on Saturday, July 31.
Kenneth Soko, a member of Gascoigne Residents’ Forum, said: "This is truly the people’s park."
Built by developer Wates Residential, the park was designed around four themes identified by people and forum members from the estate.
These are: exercise, play, growing and contemplation. There is a stage which can be used for gatherings, as well as a play area, gym, seating and garden.
You may also want to watch:
Cllrs Dominic Twomey and Saima Ashraf took part in the celebration.
Cllr Ashraf said: "Phoenix Park is fabulous, but it’s no wonder because it’s been designed by the community, for the community and you can see they’ve put their heart and soul into it."
- 1 Barking butcher 'thankful' for loyal customers through pandemic
- 2 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 3 Former council offices to be transformed into 'workspace and cultural hub'
- 4 Dagenham school receives Unicef UK award
- 5 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 6 Barking and Dagenham Council chief executive to depart
- 7 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 8 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 9 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 10 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
Sadia Ur-Rehman from Be First, which supports the project, said: "The amount of love and hard work put into making this park a great place has been breathtaking."