Police flood Barking after 'gunmen'
THERE WAS a huge police presence around Eastbury and Barking Abbey Schools last week following reports of men carrying guns. Officers received information that four people were seen gesturing and waving a handgun inside a car in the area between the two s
THERE WAS a huge police presence around Eastbury and Barking Abbey Schools last week following reports of men carrying guns.
Officers received information that four people were seen gesturing and waving a handgun inside a car in the area between the two schools.
They were seen at around 8am on Tuesday March 17 and police arrived moments later.
Later that day the car and suspects were traced by investigating officers and two plastic replica guns were found.
You may also want to watch:
Three men were arrested - a 20-year-old and two 19-year-olds.
One was detained for possession of an imitation firearm, taking and driving a vehicle without permission, driving without a licence or any insurance and for public order offences.
- 1 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 3 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 6 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 7 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 10 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
The other two men were arrested for possession of an imitation firearm and public order offences.
All three men were released on conditional bail pending further questioning.
They are not to go within 100 metres of Barking Abbey or Eastbury Schools.
Police have said this was a prime example of schools, safer neighbourhood teams and patrol officers working as a team to make the borough safer.
A spokeswoman said: "Reports were received on March 17 of four persons in a car, one being seen with a handgun in the Barking area between Eastbury School and Barking Abbey School.
"This initially led to a significant police presence to trace the vehicle and occupants.
"In addition, we provided reassurance to students and local residents alike.
"As a result of extensive enquiries Police traced the vehicle and identified the occupants.
"Three arrests were made; two males aged 19 and one male aged 20.
"Two plastic replica guns were also recovered."
Both Barking Abbey and Eastbury schools were open as normal on the day.
The schools and council were unwilling to comment on the incident.
If you have any information call police on 0300 123 1212.