Portsmouth is the target for a Cole return
WEST HAM striker Carlton Cole is looking to make his long-awaited return from injury by booking his place for the trip to relegation rivals Portsmouth on January 26, though he is eager for a place on the bench at Aston Villa on Sunday! The 26-year-old Eng
WEST HAM striker Carlton Cole is looking to make his long-awaited return from injury by booking his place for the trip to relegation rivals Portsmouth on January 26, though he is eager for a place on the bench at Aston Villa on Sunday!
The 26-year-old England international has been missing since injuring his knee during the 5-3 victory over Burnley back in December, and in the seven ga-mes since that day, the Ham-mers have struggled.
But now Cole has returned to training and though cautious, manager Gianfranco Zola is hoping to see his top scorer back sooner, rather than later.
"His recovery is vital," confirmed the manager. "He is such an important player not only in terms of goals and what he gives to the team, but it would be a huge boost for the others.
"I look forward to seeing him play soon with us."
Cole has grabbed seven goals so far this season, the last being from the penalty spot during that victory over Burnley.
- 1 'I just shut my eyes': Murder accused tells of moment he ran over victim
- 2 Man sublet his council property in Barking while living in West Yorkshire
- 3 Fourth man charged with murder of Dagenham man Tomasz Waga
- 4 Eastbury Manor House to reopen 'as soon as possible'
- 5 Woman treated at scene of blaze at Dagenham block of flats
- 6 Dagenham & Redbridge rally to win at Weymouth
- 7 Young mother died after flying to Turkey for gastric bypass surgery, inquest hears
- 8 Have your say on the proposed east London constituency boundary changes
- 9 'He will not survive the cold': Family fear for missing Sphynx cat
- 10 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
But it is his presence that has been so sorely missed. He has the ability to hold the ball up and bring others into the game, while his partnership with Mexican striker Guillermo Franco was also beginning to flourish.
Both remain on the injured list, but it seems as though it is Cole who is likely to return first out of the pair.
"They're talking about towards the end of the month, but we'll see," said Zola.
"We're not putting pressure on him. We want him, when he comes back, to be fit for the whole season and for the World Cup too hopefully.