Post People: Author creates urban fantasy in Barking book
- Credit: Archant
Fresh from ReadFest, Mickey Mayhew tells Sebastian Murphy-Bates how Barking shaped his books, with novel Jack and the Lad set to relaunch on November 2
“I’ve always been writing since I was a kid – it’s a calling. I think you’ve either got it or you haven’t.
“I’ve always liked urban fantasy, which is set in the real world but with a bit of make-believe.
“You can relate to it but it’s fantastic at the same time.
“I don’t think kids read much anymore – they spend most of their time on iPads and video games.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a question of having a teacher to get you interested in it.
“I think kids who want to write should show their work to a teacher and see what they think, then they can see if they’ve got any aptitude.
- 1 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 3 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 6 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 7 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 10 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
“The first book I wrote was I Love the Tudors – it’s a kids’ book that teaches Tudor history.
“I’ve always loved the Tudors since I heard about Henry VIII and his six wives – it was so weird being told that actually happened.
“The best of my Barking books is called Jack and the Lad and it’s about a family in Barking but there’s a bit of a ghost story and some history about the borough.
“Barking’s got a bad reputation but I’m not sure why.
“Nothing bad happened to me when I lived in Barking from 2001-2004 and everybody seemed to be east end salt of the earth types.
“Everyone says Barking’s rough but I only saw one fight, it’s got a bit of an unjust reputation.
“My favourite thing about it was St Margaret’s Church.”