Postcode lottery for Dagenham pensioners
DAGENHAM S shivering pensioners have been denied government fuel cash in a postcode lottery that will see neighbours in Barking enjoy a warmer winter. Under the daft system, thousands of elderly residents have not been eligible for extra cold weather p
DAGENHAM'S shivering pensioners have been denied government fuel cash in a postcode lottery that will see neighbours in Barking enjoy a warmer winter.
Under the "daft" system, thousands of elderly residents have not been eligible for extra cold weather payments - a grant given out when temperatures consistently hit freezing - while those living just yards away have.
Despite Dagenham having exactly the same weather as Barking, the areas' temperatures are measured by different weather stations nearly 60 miles apart. .
Angie and Robert Woolnough thought they were entitled to the extra �25 payout but when they went online and typed in their RM8 postcode they discovered they were not.
You may also want to watch:
SEE THIS WEEK'S POST FOR FULL STORY
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 4 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 7 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 8 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 9 Daggers boss McMahon 'very pleased' with Southend United victory
- 10 Sam Ling inspires Dagenham to Southend victory