IN HARLEM, an overweight, illiterate teen who is pregnant with her second child is invited to enrol in an alternative school in hopes that her life can head in a new direction. The gritty PRECIOUS (15) – with Oprah Winfrey as executive producer and feat
IN HARLEM, an overweight, illiterate teen who is pregnant with her second child is invited to enrol in an alternative school in hopes that her life can head in a new direction.
The gritty PRECIOUS (15) - with Oprah Winfrey as executive producer and featuring singers Mariah Carey and Lenny Kravitz - won the main prize at the Toronto Film Festival (last year won by Slumdog Millionaire).
Newcomer Gabourey Sidibe, pictured left, stars in the lead role as Claireece "Precious" Jones, a 16-year-old born into a life no one would want. She's pregnant for the second time by her absent father. At home, she must wait hand and foot on her mother, a poisonously angry woman who abuses her emotionally and physically.
School is a place of chaos, and Precious has reached the ninth grade with good marks and an awful secret - she can neither read nor write.
Precious may sometimes be down, but she is never out.
The film is an adaptation of an award-winning novel, Push, by Sapphire.
- 1 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 2 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 3 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 4 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 5 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 6 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 7 'I am really humbled': New Bishop of Barking appointed
- 8 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 9 ‘For the love of animals’: Group which reunites lost pets with their owners fundraises for specialist equipment
- 10 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam