Protest at hospital closure
PROTESTERS will gather to voice their opposition to the possible closure of a hospital s A & E unit. Campaigners and residents will meet outside the main entrance of King George Hospital, Barley Lane, Goodmayes, at around 1pm on Saturday (November 21). La
PROTESTERS will gather to voice their opposition to the possible closure of a hospital's A & E unit.
Campaigners and residents will meet outside the main entrance of King George Hospital, Barley Lane, Goodmayes, at around 1pm on Saturday (November 21).
Last month's government proposals to close down the hospital's A&E department caused an outcry among politicians in Barking and Dagenham and in the neighbouring boroughs.
Campaigner and Green Party member Wilson Chowdry, who was praised by Prime Minister Gordon Brown at the Community Crime Fighter awards for his work, said: "There is large Black minority and ethnic proportion catchment area who are more susceptible to fatal illnesses like strokes and diabetes.
You may also want to watch:
"To remove our A and E facilities is going to be regressive."
He added that the move would increase the burden on emergency services who would have to struggle through more traffic to get patients to Queen's Hospital in Romford, and Whipps Cross in Waltham Forest.
- 1 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 2 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 'Not a matter of shifting blame': Port victim's family receives another apology from detectives on case
- 5 Stephen Port inquests: Police failed to flag up 'significant' incident
- 6 Barking and Dagenham girls' district suffer heavy defeat to Chelmsford
- 7 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 8 'Life is hard, why make it harder?': Protesters call for new consultation over parking scheme roll out
- 9 Darren Rodwell: 'I attended Tory conference to lobby for underground A13'
- 10 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock