'Queenie' joins Ford film's cast
JOINING the already stellar cast of We Want Sex – the film that will immortalise Ford Dagenham women s struggle for equal pay – is the lovely Miranda Richardson. The brilliant comic actress, perhaps best known for her role as Queenie in TV s blisteringly
JOINING the already stellar cast of We Want Sex - the film that will immortalise Ford Dagenham women's struggle for equal pay - is the lovely Miranda Richardson.
The brilliant comic actress, perhaps best known for her role as Queenie in TV's blisteringly funny Blackadder, Richardson will star alongside Bob Hoskins and Sally Hawkins.
In March the POST exclusively reported how veteran actor Hoskins had joined the cast of We Want Sex - the title reflects the famous faux-pas which occurred outside Westminster in 1968.
Women strikers unveiled a sign declaring "We want sex equality" but it was only later they realised the last word was covered up!
You may also want to watch:
The protests by female machinists at Ford Dagenham, who made seat covers for Cortinas and Zephyrs, paved the way for the Equal Pay Act in 1970.
Filming is set to begin on the �5million flick next month. Some of it will be shot on location in Dagenham.
- 1 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 2 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 3 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 4 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 5 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 6 Man wanted in criminal damage investigation
- 7 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 8 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 10 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
Sally Hawkins, who won a Golden Globe for her role in Mike Leigh's Happy Go Lucky, will play the strike ringleader - Rita.
Bob Hoskins will portray a union leader who encourages the women to strike.
The company behind We Want Sex, Number 9 Films, have until now been quiet about the cast.
But this week they announced another famous name alongside Miranda Richardson - who will play Labour's hardened employment minister Barbara Castle.
Rosamund Pike, who lit up the silver screen as a sexy bond girl in Die Another Day, will play a strike sympathiser.