'Queenie' joins Ford film's cast
JOINING the already stellar cast of We Want Sex – the film that will immortalise Ford Dagenham women s struggle for equal pay – is the lovely Miranda Richardson. The brilliant comic actress, perhaps best known for her role as Queenie in TV s blisteringly
JOINING the already stellar cast of We Want Sex - the film that will immortalise Ford Dagenham women's struggle for equal pay - is the lovely Miranda Richardson.
The brilliant comic actress, perhaps best known for her role as Queenie in TV's blisteringly funny Blackadder, Richardson will star alongside Bob Hoskins and Sally Hawkins.
In March the POST exclusively reported how veteran actor Hoskins had joined the cast of We Want Sex - the title reflects the famous faux-pas which occurred outside Westminster in 1968.
Women strikers unveiled a sign declaring "We want sex equality" but it was only later they realised the last word was covered up!
The protests by female machinists at Ford Dagenham, who made seat covers for Cortinas and Zephyrs, paved the way for the Equal Pay Act in 1970.
Filming is set to begin on the �5million flick next month. Some of it will be shot on location in Dagenham.
- 1 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
- 2 Parents to appear in court next month over death of baby boy
- 3 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 4 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Community comes together in photo shoot for new film studio
- 6 Young mother died after flying to Turkey for gastric bypass surgery, inquest hears
- 7 Dagenham woman first UK patient to receive bionic eye implant
- 8 Car park killing: 'Distressing' CCTV shows victim being run over four times
- 9 Car park killing: Witness describes moment John Avers was run over
- 10 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
Sally Hawkins, who won a Golden Globe for her role in Mike Leigh's Happy Go Lucky, will play the strike ringleader - Rita.
Bob Hoskins will portray a union leader who encourages the women to strike.
The company behind We Want Sex, Number 9 Films, have until now been quiet about the cast.
But this week they announced another famous name alongside Miranda Richardson - who will play Labour's hardened employment minister Barbara Castle.
Rosamund Pike, who lit up the silver screen as a sexy bond girl in Die Another Day, will play a strike sympathiser.