'Queenie' joins Ford film's cast
JOINING the already stellar cast of We Want Sex – the film that will immortalise Ford Dagenham women s struggle for equal pay – is the lovely Miranda Richardson. The brilliant comic actress, perhaps best known for her role as Queenie in TV s blisteringly
JOINING the already stellar cast of We Want Sex - the film that will immortalise Ford Dagenham women's struggle for equal pay - is the lovely Miranda Richardson.
The brilliant comic actress, perhaps best known for her role as Queenie in TV's blisteringly funny Blackadder, Richardson will star alongside Bob Hoskins and Sally Hawkins.
In March the POST exclusively reported how veteran actor Hoskins had joined the cast of We Want Sex - the title reflects the famous faux-pas which occurred outside Westminster in 1968.
Women strikers unveiled a sign declaring "We want sex equality" but it was only later they realised the last word was covered up!
The protests by female machinists at Ford Dagenham, who made seat covers for Cortinas and Zephyrs, paved the way for the Equal Pay Act in 1970.
Filming is set to begin on the �5million flick next month. Some of it will be shot on location in Dagenham.
- 1 NHS trust celebrates success in cutting long-term waiting list to almost zero following administrative error
- 2 Thousands set to descend on Dagenham for music fest as licence approved
- 3 Council clears illegal encampment under Ripple Road flyover
- 4 Boris Johnson will resign as Tory leader today
- 5 Wanted: Man sought after aggravated burglaries, failing to appear in court
- 6 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 7 Inquest told Zara Aleena died from head and neck injuries
- 8 Barking and Dagenham gets lowly ranking for 'healthy streets'
- 9 Serving Met officer suspended from duty after stalking charge
- 10 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
Sally Hawkins, who won a Golden Globe for her role in Mike Leigh's Happy Go Lucky, will play the strike ringleader - Rita.
Bob Hoskins will portray a union leader who encourages the women to strike.
The company behind We Want Sex, Number 9 Films, have until now been quiet about the cast.
But this week they announced another famous name alongside Miranda Richardson - who will play Labour's hardened employment minister Barbara Castle.
Rosamund Pike, who lit up the silver screen as a sexy bond girl in Die Another Day, will play a strike sympathiser.