Redbridge Brass off to defend title
REDBRIDGE Brass, are off to Skegness to defend their championship title at the Mineworkers Open National Brass Band Festival on Saturday. Last year, they became the first southern brass band to win the contest and are seeking to repeat this sensational re
REDBRIDGE Brass, are off to Skegness to defend their championship title at the Mineworkers Open National Brass Band Festival on Saturday.
Last year, they became the first southern brass band to win the contest and are seeking to repeat this sensational result in 2010.
Competing against 20 of the countries other top brass bands, this annual contest hosted by BBC Radio 2's Frank Renton, is sponsored by Butlins and is now a major event in the brass band calendar with substantial prize money and kudos on offer to the winners.
Dave Wallace, trombone player, says: "The �7,000 prize for the championship section is the largest of any band contest and winning it in 2009 made a huge difference to the running of the band this year.
You may also want to watch:
"We are on top form at the moment and really looking forward to the contest. Even if it snows, we'll be going!"
As holders, the band give a gala concert to start the contest weekend, where more than 100 bands will compete in five sections involving some 3,000 players.
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 5 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 6 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 7 Barking and Dagenham to develop planning app in new digital tools pilot
- 8 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Urgent call for volunteer stewards at booster jab sites
The band will be giving an afternoon concert at the Kenneth More Theatre, Oakfield Road, Ilford, on Sunday, January 31, at 3pm, and will be including some of the highlights from the gala concert.
The Redbridge Music School brass band will also be joining the champions on stage.
Tickets are �8.50, children under 12 go free when accompanied by an adult. Call the box office on 020 8553 4466.