Schoolgirl distressed after mugging in Dagenham
A TERRIFIED schoolgirl was punched in the ribs by a would-be mugger who demanded she hand over money. The thug attacked the 11-year-old as she walked to Warren School in Whalebone Lane North, Chadwell Heath, last week. The girl, who was left shaken by t
A TERRIFIED schoolgirl was punched in the ribs by a would-be mugger who demanded she hand over money.
The thug attacked the 11-year-old as she walked to Warren School in Whalebone Lane North, Chadwell Heath, last week.
The girl, who was left shaken by the incident, was on her way to class on Wednesday January 13 at around 8am when a black man approached her in Alexandra Road.
He demanded that she hand over her cash and then punched the Year 7 Warren pupil in the ribs.
You may also want to watch:
Nothing was stolen from the youngster during the attempted mugging.
The black man, described as 5ft 6inches tall, wearing a blue hooded Nike top and dark blue jogging bottoms, ran off towards Chadwell Heath High Road.
- 1 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 2 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 5 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 6 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 7 Darren Rodwell: 'I attended Tory conference to lobby for underground A13'
- 8 Girl, 15, missing from Dagenham for ten days
- 9 'Life is hard, why make it harder?': Protesters call for new consultation over parking scheme roll out
- 10 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
Police say the girl was "understandably distressed" by the attack but noted that the man had a very deep voice.
According to Warren School pupils' parents there have been similar attacks in the area within the last two weeks.
One mother said a boy had been mugged after school at the entrance to St Chad's Park on Friday January 8.
A police spokeswoman said: "On Wednesday January 13 at 8am, an 11-year-old girl was approached by a man on her way to school.
"The man approached the girl, demanded that she hand over money, and at the same time punched her in the ribs.
"He then ran off in the direction of High Road, Chadwell Heath.
"Although no property was taken, the victim in this case was understandably distressed."
Anyone who witnessed the attempted mugging or has information should call Police on 0300 123 1212 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.