Schoolgirl distressed after mugging in Dagenham
A TERRIFIED schoolgirl was punched in the ribs by a would-be mugger who demanded she hand over money. The thug attacked the 11-year-old as she walked to Warren School in Whalebone Lane North, Chadwell Heath, last week. The girl, who was left shaken by t
A TERRIFIED schoolgirl was punched in the ribs by a would-be mugger who demanded she hand over money.
The thug attacked the 11-year-old as she walked to Warren School in Whalebone Lane North, Chadwell Heath, last week.
The girl, who was left shaken by the incident, was on her way to class on Wednesday January 13 at around 8am when a black man approached her in Alexandra Road.
He demanded that she hand over her cash and then punched the Year 7 Warren pupil in the ribs.
Nothing was stolen from the youngster during the attempted mugging.
The black man, described as 5ft 6inches tall, wearing a blue hooded Nike top and dark blue jogging bottoms, ran off towards Chadwell Heath High Road.
- 1 Man in 50s in hospital after Dagenham stabbing
- 2 Barking and Dagenham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 3 Murder charge after man, 60, found fatally injured in Dagenham
- 4 Local 18-year-old filmmaker gears up for ‘ambitious’ first feature-length film
- 5 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 6 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 7 Bleed kit in memory of doorman Ricky Hayden installed outside nightclub
- 8 Gun shots fired in Dagenham
- 9 Summer of Festivals Weekender draws thousands to Parsloes Park
- 10 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
Police say the girl was "understandably distressed" by the attack but noted that the man had a very deep voice.
According to Warren School pupils' parents there have been similar attacks in the area within the last two weeks.
One mother said a boy had been mugged after school at the entrance to St Chad's Park on Friday January 8.
A police spokeswoman said: "On Wednesday January 13 at 8am, an 11-year-old girl was approached by a man on her way to school.
"The man approached the girl, demanded that she hand over money, and at the same time punched her in the ribs.
"He then ran off in the direction of High Road, Chadwell Heath.
"Although no property was taken, the victim in this case was understandably distressed."
Anyone who witnessed the attempted mugging or has information should call Police on 0300 123 1212 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.