Scott is walking back to happiness again
ILFORD Walking Club s Scott Davis successfully defended his UK National 50k Race Walking Championships crown in fine style. Davis was also there to defend a sequence of four consecutive victories in this event, but he had to overcome stern tests in the sh
ILFORD Walking Club's Scott Davis successfully defended his UK National 50k Race Walking Championships crown in fine style.
Davis was also there to defend a sequence of four consecutive victories in this event, but he had to overcome stern tests in the shape of Christer Svensson of Sweden, who had represented his country in the World Cup in Russia last year, and Redcar's Paul Evennett.
A closely-fought tussle ensued between the three men before Davis won in a time of 4:30.38, with Svensson second in 4:47.28 and Evenett third in 4:51.59.
With this victory Davis is set to go into the UK Athletics Hall of Fame as the winner of the National 50k title for five consecutive years, a feat equalled by only Harold Whitlock, the Olympic gold medallist in this event in Berlin in 1936.
You may also want to watch:
This sequence of wins has also been surpassed by only one other athlete - Don Thompson, Olympic gold medallist in this event in the Rome Olympics of 1960.
- 1 Woman brightens up Barking and Dagenham with colourful crochet creations
- 2 Staff to strike at primary school in Dagenham
- 3 Appeal for help as girl, 17, reported missing from Dagenham
- 4 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 5 Bobby Moore's daughter visits Upney buildings to be named after footballers
- 6 'Strong, united community' hailed as plans for hotel in Barking withdrawn
- 7 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 8 Walk-in Covid-19 jab events for all adults to be held in Barking
- 9 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 10 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath