Scott is walking back to happiness again
ILFORD Walking Club s Scott Davis successfully defended his UK National 50k Race Walking Championships crown in fine style. Davis was also there to defend a sequence of four consecutive victories in this event, but he had to overcome stern tests in the sh
ILFORD Walking Club's Scott Davis successfully defended his UK National 50k Race Walking Championships crown in fine style.
Davis was also there to defend a sequence of four consecutive victories in this event, but he had to overcome stern tests in the shape of Christer Svensson of Sweden, who had represented his country in the World Cup in Russia last year, and Redcar's Paul Evennett.
A closely-fought tussle ensued between the three men before Davis won in a time of 4:30.38, with Svensson second in 4:47.28 and Evenett third in 4:51.59.
With this victory Davis is set to go into the UK Athletics Hall of Fame as the winner of the National 50k title for five consecutive years, a feat equalled by only Harold Whitlock, the Olympic gold medallist in this event in Berlin in 1936.
You may also want to watch:
This sequence of wins has also been surpassed by only one other athlete - Don Thompson, Olympic gold medallist in this event in the Rome Olympics of 1960.
- 1 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 2 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 3 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 4 New community food club set to open in Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 6 The tea room in a country park 'building a community' in Dagenham
- 7 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 8 Barking and Dagenham, Newham named priority areas by Arts Council
- 9 Revellers descend on Dagenham for We Are FSTVL
- 10 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend