Scott is walking back to happiness again
ILFORD Walking Club s Scott Davis successfully defended his UK National 50k Race Walking Championships crown in fine style. Davis was also there to defend a sequence of four consecutive victories in this event, but he had to overcome stern tests in the sh
ILFORD Walking Club's Scott Davis successfully defended his UK National 50k Race Walking Championships crown in fine style.
Davis was also there to defend a sequence of four consecutive victories in this event, but he had to overcome stern tests in the shape of Christer Svensson of Sweden, who had represented his country in the World Cup in Russia last year, and Redcar's Paul Evennett.
A closely-fought tussle ensued between the three men before Davis won in a time of 4:30.38, with Svensson second in 4:47.28 and Evenett third in 4:51.59.
With this victory Davis is set to go into the UK Athletics Hall of Fame as the winner of the National 50k title for five consecutive years, a feat equalled by only Harold Whitlock, the Olympic gold medallist in this event in Berlin in 1936.
This sequence of wins has also been surpassed by only one other athlete - Don Thompson, Olympic gold medallist in this event in the Rome Olympics of 1960.
- 1 'Something is going on': Second dead rabbit found in a week
- 2 Car park murder: Witness describes moment John Avers was run over
- 3 Barking resident charged over death of baby boy
- 4 Man hospitalised after being found in Mayesbrook Park
- 5 Dodgy landlord ordered to pay £64k over illegal HMO on Ripple Road
- 6 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 7 Car park murder: 'Distressing' CCTV shows victim being run over four times
- 8 Car park murder: Victim's wife tells trial about the last text he sent her
- 9 Barking and Dagenham set for 250 new electric vehicle charging points
- 10 Man run over four times embroiled in row over £40,000, murder trial told