Second place - but no prize!
ILFORD WALKERS gained second team prize in the Annual Belgrave Harriers Open seven mile walk, although left empty handed when an organising official forgot to bring the prizes to the venue! The six-lap circuit is one of the few left on the public highway
ILFORD WALKERS gained second team prize in the Annual Belgrave Harriers Open seven mile walk, although left empty handed when an organising official forgot to bring the prizes to the venue!
The six-lap circuit is one of the few left on the public highway and is recognised as one of the toughest courses in use with a steep climb on every lap.
Pete Ryan was the first Ilford man home with a battling fourth place that saw him walk solidly and he exhibited even pace to gradually pull away from his pursuers and finish in 61.42 minutes.
Steve Uttley moved from sixth to fifth on the final lap to finish in 62.01, but made little in-road into Ryan's lead over him. The Ilford team was completed by Dave Sharpe who walked solidly to finish 19th in 70.44.
The team's 28-point total was good enough to beat the third-placed host club Belgrave by a total of 10 points, but Steyning AC were triumphant overall.
- 1 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
- 2 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 3 Barking resident charged over death of baby boy
- 4 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 5 Car park killing: Witness describes moment John Avers was run over
- 6 Car park killing: 'Distressing' CCTV shows victim being run over four times
- 7 Patients with Covid in east London hospitals fall after rising for weeks
- 8 More headliners announced for We Are FSTVL 2022
- 9 'Something is going on': Second dead rabbit found in a week
- 10 Man hospitalised after being found in Mayesbrook Park