Seven years in damp hell
A DISABLED mum of three says she was stuck in a living hell for nearly seven years after her house began to fall apart through mould and damp. Tracey Potter, 42, and her children, Harry, 16, Georgina, 14, and Jimmy, 10, say they had to endure disgusting
A DISABLED mum of three says she was stuck in "a living hell" for nearly seven years after her house began to fall apart through mould and damp.
Tracey Potter, 42, and her children, Harry, 16, Georgina, 14, and Jimmy, 10, say they had to endure disgusting conditions in their housing association property.
They moved into a three bedroom family home in Greenwood Avenue, Rush Green, in 2002.
Part-time chef, Tracey, said: "The house was beautiful when I first moved in that summer. Everything was brand new.
You may also want to watch:
"But as soon as the weather got colder in October, that house became a living hell for my entire family."
She said mould started to appear in the kitchen and then spread to the bathroom and hallway. Each year the damp got worse.
- 1 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 3 Humanist: 'Support bill to scrap archaic requirement for school worship'
- 4 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 5 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 6 Barking and Dagenham Council chief executive to depart
- 7 Businesses urged to comply with new food labelling law
- 8 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 9 Barking MP pushes for child poverty services under one roof
- 10 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
She said the family were forced to live with all their furniture in the centre of each room, because as soon as a bed or chair touched the wall it started to get damp.
Harry had pneumonia twice.
She said a plumber told her the water from the boiler pipe on the outside of the building was leaking into the house.
Finally last year Tracey went to see Dagenham MP Jon Cruddas, who helped her find the council house she is now living in.
Tracey said: "I want to thank Jon for everything he has done. He has been wonderful.
"I am so glad to be living without that awful damp and mould and so are my kids.