Sharpe's silver mile
ILFORD S Dave Sharpe struck silver in the inaugural Essex County AAA Indoor Athletics Championships at Lea Valley on Sunday. Racing, in walking terms that is, over the now rarely-staged distance of one mile, Sharpe walked with confidence to place second
ILFORD'S Dave Sharpe struck silver in the inaugural Essex County AAA Indoor Athletics Championships at Lea Valley on Sunday.
Racing, in walking terms that is, over the now rarely-staged distance of one mile, Sharpe walked with confidence to place second in eight minutes and 50 seconds, behind leader, Canvey Islander Phil Barnard.
The Championships of Essex and Kent were held jointly and stride-for-stride with Sharpe over the second half of the race was promising Medway junior walker Rebecca Collins.
On approaching the finishing line together, Sharpe's experience and Collins' naivety decided second and third places.
You may also want to watch:
As fast pounding feet reached the line, the Ilford man dipped, the Kent lady didn't, so giving the verdict to a more alert Sharpe.
The previous day at Bexley, Ilford contested a Winter League 5K over four circuits of a testing course, winning the team event with the best performance coming from Steve Uttley, a former course and distance winner, who in good class company came fifth in 26.30.
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 3 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 6 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 9 'Singling out developers to sort out the cladding scandal'
- 10 Column: Pride and trust continues to grow in Dagenham squad
Catching the eye with a strong performance was improving Laurence Dordoy, who finished eighth in 28.03. Dordoy is doing extra training in anticipation of a good walk in April's London Marathon.