US children's author inspires Dagenham primary pupils
- Credit: Becontree Primary School
A Dagenham school had a virtual visit from a US children’s author for World Read Aloud Day.
Year 6 children at Becontree Primary had an online session with Shirin Shamsi, who went to the school in Stevens Road when she was a child and now lives in Chicago.
The author had planned to visit in person but couldn’t because of the pandemic.
She read two chapters from her book Laila and the Sands of Time and answered questions about life as an author and her time at Becontree Primary.
Headteacher Marie Ziane said: "We were so pleased when Shirin contacted us last year and we were all excited about her visiting the school to inspire our children.
You may also want to watch:
“Our children impressed Shirin with their insightful questions and were, in turn, suitably impressed by Shirin's responses.
"We look forward to welcoming Shirin to the school to meet us in person when we are able to."
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 2 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 3 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
- 4 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 6 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 7 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
- 8 Comedian: 'Jeff's in space and I'm stuck in traffic at Gallows Corner'
- 9 Dagenham 88 Runners returned to parkrun action and tackled ELVIS race
- 10 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted