US children's author inspires Dagenham primary pupils
- Credit: Becontree Primary School
A Dagenham school had a virtual visit from a US children’s author for World Read Aloud Day.
Year 6 children at Becontree Primary had an online session with Shirin Shamsi, who went to the school in Stevens Road when she was a child and now lives in Chicago.
The author had planned to visit in person but couldn’t because of the pandemic.
She read two chapters from her book Laila and the Sands of Time and answered questions about life as an author and her time at Becontree Primary.
Headteacher Marie Ziane said: "We were so pleased when Shirin contacted us last year and we were all excited about her visiting the school to inspire our children.
You may also want to watch:
“Our children impressed Shirin with their insightful questions and were, in turn, suitably impressed by Shirin's responses.
"We look forward to welcoming Shirin to the school to meet us in person when we are able to."
- 1 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 3 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 4 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 5 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 6 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 7 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 8 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 9 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 10 Man shot in the face in Dagenham