US children's author inspires Dagenham primary pupils
- Credit: Becontree Primary School
A Dagenham school had a virtual visit from a US children’s author for World Read Aloud Day.
Year 6 children at Becontree Primary had an online session with Shirin Shamsi, who went to the school in Stevens Road when she was a child and now lives in Chicago.
The author had planned to visit in person but couldn’t because of the pandemic.
She read two chapters from her book Laila and the Sands of Time and answered questions about life as an author and her time at Becontree Primary.
Headteacher Marie Ziane said: "We were so pleased when Shirin contacted us last year and we were all excited about her visiting the school to inspire our children.
You may also want to watch:
“Our children impressed Shirin with their insightful questions and were, in turn, suitably impressed by Shirin's responses.
"We look forward to welcoming Shirin to the school to meet us in person when we are able to."
- 1 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 4 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 5 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week
- 6 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 7 Dagenham advance in FA Cup with two late goals at Wealdstone
- 8 Stephen Port inquests: Detective apologises to families for mistakes
- 9 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 10 'Life is hard, why make it harder?': Protesters call for new consultation over parking scheme roll out