Shock as mega prison dumped in Dagenham
A CONTROVERSIAL mega prison that will hold 1,500 inmates may be built in Beam Reach Park, Dagenham – Justice Secretary Jack Straw announced this week. It is understood that this is to be one of two new penitentiaries, each housing as many criminals as the
A CONTROVERSIAL mega prison that will hold 1,500 inmates may be built in Beam Reach Park, Dagenham - Justice Secretary Jack Straw announced this week.
It is understood that this is to be one of two new penitentiaries, each housing as many criminals as the largest jails currently in the UK and generating an estimated 800 jobs.
The government are classing the prison as Category B - the second highest level of security.
Inmates are deemed likely to try and escape and are considered a threat to themselves and society.
You may also want to watch:
Jack Straw spoke at the House of Commons on Monday April 27 where he formally abandoned his plans to create three "Titan" prisons, which would have cost �1.3billion.
Instead it was announced that two new prisons would be built, one is proposed for the industrial site on the border of Dagenham and Rainham.
- 1 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 2 Topping out milestone for Barking tower block development
- 3 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 4 Budding entrepreneur from Dagenham wins business pitch competition
- 5 Council warns residents after reports of rogue traders in Dagenham
- 6 Fairlop woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 7 Barking MP joins schoolchildren for managing money lesson
- 8 Steve Allen: 'Oxford students should vote on Magdalen pronunciation instead'
- 9 Dagenham set to announce retained list with three already departing
- 10 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald
FOR FULL STORY SEE THIS WEEK'S POST