Shock as mega prison dumped in Dagenham
A CONTROVERSIAL mega prison that will hold 1,500 inmates may be built in Beam Reach Park, Dagenham – Justice Secretary Jack Straw announced this week. It is understood that this is to be one of two new penitentiaries, each housing as many criminals as the
A CONTROVERSIAL mega prison that will hold 1,500 inmates may be built in Beam Reach Park, Dagenham - Justice Secretary Jack Straw announced this week.
It is understood that this is to be one of two new penitentiaries, each housing as many criminals as the largest jails currently in the UK and generating an estimated 800 jobs.
The government are classing the prison as Category B - the second highest level of security.
Inmates are deemed likely to try and escape and are considered a threat to themselves and society.
Jack Straw spoke at the House of Commons on Monday April 27 where he formally abandoned his plans to create three "Titan" prisons, which would have cost �1.3billion.
Instead it was announced that two new prisons would be built, one is proposed for the industrial site on the border of Dagenham and Rainham.
- 1 Murder charge after man, 60, found fatally injured in Dagenham
- 2 Barking and Dagenham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 3 Local 18-year-old filmmaker gears up for ‘ambitious’ first feature-length film
- 4 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 5 Bleed kit in memory of doorman Ricky Hayden installed outside nightclub
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 8 Summer of Festivals Weekender draws thousands to Parsloes Park
- 9 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 10 Dagenham fire families receive thousands in donated cash
FOR FULL STORY SEE THIS WEEK'S POST