Shoppers and commuters cause parking chaos for residents
FAMILIES living on the Gascoigne Estate banded together last week to demand answers from the council over parking havoc. Pensioners, parents and youngsters from the estate met at the community centre in the heart of the estate to speak with their MP Marga
FAMILIES living on the Gascoigne Estate banded together last week to demand answers from the council over parking havoc.
Pensioners, parents and youngsters from the estate met at the community centre in the heart of the estate to speak with their MP Margaret Hodge.
At least 80 people turned up on Wednesday, February 18 to make their voices heard after inconsiderate parking by shoppers and commuters left residents without any space for their cars.
The unanimous verdict seemed to be that tenants and householders were terrified to move their cars because if they did someone would steal their space.
John Excell has lived on the Gascoigne Estate for nine years, he said: "If I have to go shopping or take my children somewhere I have to move my car.
"But when I come back there is nowhere to park. Sometimes I have to leave my car at the other side of the estate and walk back in the dark.
- 1 Dagenham pub to host inaugural local Christmas fair
- 2 Barking Market extended to 'ease antisocial behaviour'
- 3 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 4 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 5 Tributes to former Hornchurch, Dagenham, Wealdstone and Hendon forward Marvin Morgan
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election
- 8 Homophobia ruled out for jury in Stephen Port victims’ inquests
- 9 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 10 Dagenham landlord fined for unlawful eviction after secretly changing locks
"It is getting absolutely ridiculous."
Last week Margaret Hodge MP, Councillors Val Rush and Milton McKenzie and council officers met families to hear their problems first hand.
A residents parking only zone is wanted for the whole estate - that would stop shoppers and commuters using Gascoigne as a car park.