Shoppers and commuters cause parking chaos for residents
FAMILIES living on the Gascoigne Estate banded together last week to demand answers from the council over parking havoc. Pensioners, parents and youngsters from the estate met at the community centre in the heart of the estate to speak with their MP Marga
FAMILIES living on the Gascoigne Estate banded together last week to demand answers from the council over parking havoc.
Pensioners, parents and youngsters from the estate met at the community centre in the heart of the estate to speak with their MP Margaret Hodge.
At least 80 people turned up on Wednesday, February 18 to make their voices heard after inconsiderate parking by shoppers and commuters left residents without any space for their cars.
The unanimous verdict seemed to be that tenants and householders were terrified to move their cars because if they did someone would steal their space.
You may also want to watch:
John Excell has lived on the Gascoigne Estate for nine years, he said: "If I have to go shopping or take my children somewhere I have to move my car.
"But when I come back there is nowhere to park. Sometimes I have to leave my car at the other side of the estate and walk back in the dark.
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 3 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 6 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 7 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Barking and Dagenham goes two weeks without Covid-19 deaths
- 9 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
"It is getting absolutely ridiculous."
Last week Margaret Hodge MP, Councillors Val Rush and Milton McKenzie and council officers met families to hear their problems first hand.
A residents parking only zone is wanted for the whole estate - that would stop shoppers and commuters using Gascoigne as a car park.