Investigation after claim child swallowed stones at Dagenham nursery
- Credit: Laura Bass
An investigation is under way after a mother claimed her three-year-old daughter swallowed stones at a nursery.
Laura Bass says her child swallowed six marble-type stones while at Southwood Primary School's nursery.
Laura, from Dagenham, said: "She was in so much pain. She was in agony.
"I can't imagine if she had swallowed more and she wasn't here. It doesn't bear thinking about."
In a statement, Southwood Primary stated: “We can confirm that a parent has brought this to our attention and has made a complaint which is being investigated in line with our complaints procedure.
You may also want to watch:
"As such we are unable to comment further until that process concludes.
“We are glad to say the child is back at the nursery and is doing well,” the school added.
- 1 Tot with cancer enjoys 'brilliant' fun day outside home in Dagenham
- 2 London mayoral candidate 'fined' after digital campaign bus visits Dagenham
- 3 Tributes to 'much-loved' volunteer with a passion for Dagenham history
- 4 Jo Richardson pupils offered 'hug in a mug' in lockdown
- 5 Is the Becontree estate in Barking and Dagenham really a Covid hotspot?
- 6 Padnall Lake, teachers in pandemic, hearing loss and Covid insurance
- 7 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 8 Views sought on next stage of Gascoigne Estate's redevelopment
- 9 Rapid Covid-19 test site for people without symptoms open in Dagenham
- 10 Hundreds of shops found not complying with Covid rules
Laura told the Post she believes her daughter can only have swallowed the stones at nursery because she had only been either there or at home where she doesn't have any of the pebble shaped objects.
"The only two places we had been were home and school," Laura said.
She added her daughter first went back to nursery on December 3 and 4 after the family self-isolated at home during the second lockdown. Laura had been home-schooling her children during that time.
The little girl felt OK on December 5, but the next day mum thought she was suffering from a tummy bug. Laura said it wasn't until the three-year-old passed the stones while on the toilet that she realised what had been wrong.
"She was in agony, bless her, but she is back to her bubbly self now," Laura said.
"I was absolutely worried sick. I didn't sleep for two days. As a parent you don't want to see your child suffering. It's the worst thing," she added.
The angry mum said that while one stone could be seen as an accident, swallowing six suggested no one was keeping an eye on her daughter.
Laura has also complained to education watchdog Ofsted.
In its last inspection report, the school's safeguarding arrangements were described as "effective" with leadership having "a sharp focus" on pupils' wellbeing.