Speculation not a worry for Still

DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE boss John Still has laughed off speculation concerning his striking duo of Paul Benson and Ben Strevens. The pair, who have scored 33 goals between them this season, share the same agent, Dan Fletcher, who stated on skysports.com last

DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE boss John Still has laughed off speculation concerning his striking duo of Paul Benson and Ben Strevens, writes MIKE SIMMONDS. .

The pair, who have scored 33 goals between them this season, share the same agent, Dan Fletcher, who stated on skysports.com last week, that there was plenty of interest in the pair.

"I am not surprised other clubs are looking at Paul and Ben as they have been one of the best strike-forces in League Two," said Fletcher.

"They have enjoyed fantastic seasons and I know a lot of clubs are keeping tabs on them as a result of their goalscoring exploits."


You may also want to watch:


It was reported that the likes of Stockport and Exeter were interested in Strevens, who is out of contract at the end of the season, while Benson was wanted by Colchester and Millwall, but Still paid no attention to the rumours.

"To be honest, it doesn't bother me much, I take it all with a pinch of salt," said the boss, who turned down a bid from Wycombe for Strevens in the January transfer window.

Most Read

"Agents try to get players noticed, that's what they do and that's what he's done, it makes no difference to me.

"'Strevs' contract is up and if he wants to go elsewhere and earn more money or play at a higher level, then good luck to him, he's done fantastic for this club.

"'Benno' has another year on his contract, but if someone comes in with the right deal, we've never stopped players doing better for themselves.

"Who knows what is going to be better though? I saw a couple of clubs named were Stockport and Exeter, are they better than us?

"People making their careers better or leaving to make their careers better has never stopped this club progressing."

One player who won't be leaving though is midfielder Peter Gain, as the 32-year-old signed a contract extension until May 2011.

"He's a good player, who loves it here and has worked very hard," said Still, who expects the majority of out of contract players in his squad to wait until the end of the season, before discussing their futures.

"We were talking about extending his contract when he had his operation, but we said get fit and it will be two years.

"He's done that, and I never go back on my word.

"Negotiations are still going on with other players, but we're busy at the moment.

"I've spoken to the players and said that we should all wait until after this Saturday, because it might have a different perspective.

"We're talking about it, but let's look at it again in a couple of weeks' time."

Are Daggers going to lose players cheaply in the summer? Email: sport@ilfordrecorder.co.uk

The Recorder is now on Twitter, so if you follow twitter.com/Recorder_DagRed then you will get up to the minute updates on goings on at Victoria Road.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus