Squatters vanish as the bailiffs move in
PUBLISHED: 11:07 27 June 2008 | UPDATED: 10:09 11 August 2010
NUISANCE squatters blighting the Thames View estate left last week before bailiffs and police could throw them out. Court action was taken by the council to evict the families living illegally in Stapleford Court since Friday May 2. Romford County Court g
NUISANCE squatters blighting the Thames View estate left last week before bailiffs and police could throw them out.
Court action was taken by the council to evict the families living illegally in Stapleford Court since Friday May 2.
Romford County Court granted permission to forcibly remove the group of Spanish and French-speaking people.
But before the order could be carried out on Friday June 20 the squatters left of their own accord.
Tenants and residents on the estate were relieved to see the back of these unwelcome guests.
Speaking on behalf of the New View Steering Group and Thames View Residents Association, former councillor George Shaw said: "We have been going down to Stapleford Court every day, and have been liaising with security services to make sure we are up to date with the problems.
"There are five of us in the New View group and we like to be active in the community.
"People here have had terrible problems; the squatters' presence alone has intimidated the neighbourhood.
"Our bins were rifled through and they were going into peoples' gardens.
"The council started regeneration two-and-a-half years ago, those buildings should have been demolished long ago.
"And if the whole thing hadn't been elongated by the legal process then the squatters would have been moved on long ago.
"What we need now is tighter security to make sure this doesn't happen again."
Clearing the derelict buildings and infrastructure from the area is expected to begin in July and it is hoped the demolition will be complete by December.
A council spokesman said: "The council is pleased that we have relieved the situation that occurred on the Thames View estate.
"One of the things we will be focusing on in the aftermath of this will be to increase security on the estate and in adjoining areas.
"The council were obliged to go through a legal process in order to rectify the situation.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.