‘We are IG11’: Barking artwork turns heads skywards in bid to spruce up town centre
- Credit: Archant
A colourful canopy of shapes and messages has been unveiled above an alleyway as part of a bid to put smiles on people’s faces.
Barking social enterprise group Street Space installed the artwork in St Awdry's Walk as part of ongoing efforts to spruce up public places and make people feel safer.
Street Space founder Phillippa Banister said: "We're delighted to install our second installation and look forward to understanding the impact it has on people using the alleyway."
The piece was designed over the Past five months in a joint project between neighbours and artist Hanna Benihoud.
It includes solar powered light-up letters spelling messages voted for by residents, including We Are IG11, East East London, You Got This and St Awdry's Walk.
You may also want to watch:
Since 2018, as part of women-led movement, Her Barking, Street Space has identified places in the town centre where people don't feel safe, temporarily transforming four spots as part of the London Festival of Architecture.
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 7 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 8 Daggers boss McMahon 'very pleased' with Southend United victory
- 9 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 10 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking