Stars come out for Kennys
THE stars of the Kenneth More Theatre are gearing up for this year s milestone awards ceremony. The Kenny s – hailed as Ilford s answer to the Oscars – will be celebrating its 30th birthday at the theatre, in Oakfield Road, on Sunday. Prizes will be give
THE stars of the Kenneth More Theatre are gearing up for this year's milestone awards ceremony.
The Kenny's - hailed as Ilford's answer to the Oscars - will be celebrating its 30th birthday at the theatre, in Oakfield Road, on Sunday.
Prizes will be given to the stars of 2008, including best actors and actresses, musical performances and best director.
In a unique twist, four nominees were winners at the first ceremony.
You may also want to watch:
Reg Wheeler, who is up for Best Actor, Best Male Performance in a Musical and Best Director, was presented with the Best Actor gong in1979 by actor Kenneth More, after whom the theatre is named.
Laura Nayman won Best Female Performance in a Musical in the first ceremony and is now hoping to scoop Best Female Support in a Musical for The King and I.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 4 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 7 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 8 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 9 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
- 10 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
Christine Keates is hoping to repeat her performance when she won Best Director and veteran winner Liz Kalnan is hoping for success in the Best Female Supporting category.
Vivyan Ellacott, theatre general manager, said: "I don't think there will be anyone bursting into tears during their speech but people can expect a fun event.
"There is an amazing mix of talent, with three youth theatre companies up for awards alongside four veterans.
"It is great that people who won 30 years are returning to the ceremony and it's great that there are so many more young people taking part this year."
Best Show and Young Person of the Year will be announced on the night, as well as the Ilford Recorder Theatre Personality award.
The theatre hosted a range of plays over the course of the year, from classics such as Compleat Shskpr to musical performances of Little Women and Cinderella.
For ticket details, call the box office on 020 8553 4466.