'I am neither #TeamCuthbert nor #TeamColin'
Steve Allen, comdian
- Credit: Adriana Elgueta
I don’t know if you have ever filled in a crime survey. I have recently. Obviously I lied because I didn’t want to make it look like I live in a high-crime area. It might affect property prices.
The truth is, I have been a victim of a crime. A fraud. I bought a Cuthbert the Caterpillar cake from Aldi.
It may seem strange for a grown man with no children to buy a cute anthropomorphised cake but my doctor said I should eat more greens and that’s what Cuthbert’s face is.
This week I read that Marks & Spencer has begun legal action against Aldi, arguing that Cuthbert infringes its Colin the Caterpillar trademark. I’ll never forget where I was when the penny dropped and I realised I’d been conned. I was back in Aldi because I was hungry for cake again.
M&S is arguing that the similarity of the products leads consumers to believe they are of the same standard. Oh, what a fool I have been. Simply because they are both caterpillar shaped and have a man’s name, I thought they’d be the same standard of cake.
Now I look back there were subtle signs that should have given it away. Like the big sign that said Aldi I walked past. That was a hint that I wasn’t buying an M&S cake. I also remember thinking: “The middle aisle is filled with tools, a scuba diving outfit and a lathe.”
That’s normally a clue that you’re in an Aldi.
- 1 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 2 Covid survivor, 16, urges people to get jabbed after months in hospital
- 3 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 4 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 5 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 6 Travel disruptions to look out for this week across east London
- 7 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Long-life food, foil and credit: Readers' tips for saving money this winter
- 10 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
Having done much research, by which I mean having eaten a lot of cake this week, I have decided that I am neither #TeamCuthbert nor #TeamColin. They are all a con. I looked on the ingredients and none of them contain any actual caterpillar.