View from a comedian: So glad it’s not me going back to school
Good luck to any children who have gone back to school.
I know the schools have gone back because I have seen buses that say “school bus” on them, and a new phenomenon of some buses that say “no school children” in the window.
It’s the kind of segregation I have always dreamed of. I can get on a bus without fear of meeting a large group of young ones playing Cardi B out of their phones.
It’s daunting enough to start a new school year, so I can only imagine what it must be like for the latest cohort entering the next stage of their education.
I worried about making friends. It must be even harder when you have to wear a face mask. You can’t see if they’re smiling at you, and if you make a friend, how can you recognise them again if you only saw their eyes?
You may also want to watch:
We used to worry about bullies. Right now in school the pupils have to worry about catching a virus.
My father would say: “Stand up for yourself and fight back. Never start a fight but be ready to finish one.” That advice isn’t going to help you fight off a virus. In fact, getting your fists involved in anything will only mean you need more hand sanitiser.
- 1 Five men from Barking charged after gun raids
- 2 Calls to remove Dagenham 5G mast after blaze
- 3 Dagenham man sentenced to life for raping teenage girl in his wife's car
- 4 New freeport in Dagenham gets the green light from the chancellor
- 5 Stabbing in Barking leaves man fighting for his life
- 6 Police raid Barking addresses in operation to stop revenge gang attacks
- 7 'Long Covid' clinic set up by BHRUT for those still suffering
- 8 'Appallingly dirty' Dagenham shop doubling up as 'substandard' hotel
- 9 'Half of 5G phone mast' in Dagenham left damaged by late night fire
- 10 Council tax is rising by five per cent in Barking and Dagenham
We worried about looking fashionable, but we didn’t have mask fashion to worry about. I have found a very comfortable mask, which my other half tells me looks like a reinforced gusset. If you wear something like that in school you’d never live it down.
Best of luck if you’re at school. Try your best, work hard, oh and be nice to your teacher. They might be the ones guessing your exam grades in the future.