Steve battles it out for third spot
ILFORD AC competitors impressed in the opening event of the long established series of evening Open Graded meetings, hosted by Woodford Green with Essex Ladies. The curtain-raiser was the 3,000m walking race, which saw a silence observed beforehand in
ILFORD AC competitors impressed in the opening event of the long established series of evening Open Graded meetings, hosted by Woodford Green with Essex Ladies.
The curtain-raiser was the 3,000m walking race, which saw a silence observed beforehand in respect of Ilford AC member Laurence Dordoy, who recently died in a tragic road accident and whose funeral service had been held earlier in the day.
There was a clear favourite, Canvey Islander Phil Bearnard, who stormed around to claim victory in 14 minutes and 11 seconds, leaving most attention focused on an enthralling battle to complete the frame positions.
Disputing these places were old rivals John Hall (Belgrave Harriers) and Ilford's Steve Uttley.
You may also want to watch:
There was little to chose between them, but inside the final circuit, Hall managed to establish a small lead which was good enough to secure second spot in 15.15, with Uttley claiming third in 15.26. Captain Dave Sharpe claimed sixth position in 17.31.
- 1 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 2 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 3 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week
- 4 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 5 Barking and Dagenham MPs react after 'horrific' stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 6 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 7 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 8 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 9 Darren Rodwell: 'I attended Tory conference to lobby for underground A13'
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences