Steve's the star
ILFORD Walking Club sent a squad to contest the final event of the 2008/9 Winter League series of 5km road walks, held over four testing circuits of a course at Bexley on Saturday afternoon. Steve Uttley led the way for the Cricklefields-based club on a c
ILFORD Walking Club sent a squad to contest the final event of the 2008/9 Winter League series of 5km road walks, held over four testing circuits of a course at Bexley on Saturday afternoon.
Steve Uttley led the way for the Cricklefields-based club on a course that he is clearly very much at home with, and where has recorded many good times. It was a case of more of the same as he filled fifth position in 26 minutes and 54 seconds.
In seventh place, Laurence Dordoy continued his recent surge of fine form, passing the timekeeper in an excellent 27.55, while closing the Ilford team in eighth spot was dependable Dave Sharpe in 28.43, enabling the team to finish second behind Tonbridge.
In 18th was Alan O'Rawe in 32.37, 19th was Tony Kelly in 34.04 and in 22nd was Mick Barnbrook in 36.06.
You may also want to watch:
On Sunday, Ilford's walkers contest the popular Nicola 5-Mile race on Canvey Island seafront, starting at 10.15am.
- 1 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 4 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 5 Stephen Port inquests: Detective apologises to families for mistakes
- 6 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 7 Dagenham advance in FA Cup with two late goals at Wealdstone
- 8 'Life is hard, why make it harder?': Protesters call for new consultation over parking scheme roll out
- 9 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 10 Dagenham showed 'mental strength' in FA Cup win over Wealdstone