Steve stars in veterans
ILFORD S Steve Allen won Tuesday evening s veterans five-mile walking race, around three circuits of Battersea Park s Queen s Carriageway. Allen broke the tape in an excellent 45 minutes and 22 seconds, well ahead of Carl Lawton (Belgrave Harriers) in
ILFORD'S Steve Allen won Tuesday evening's veterans' five-mile walking race, around three circuits of Battersea Park's Queen's Carriageway.
Allen broke the tape in an excellent 45 minutes and 22 seconds, well ahead of Carl Lawton (Belgrave Harriers) in 47.47.
Mike Hinton was also in good form, working hard to claim fourth spot in a classy field, with a sprint finish against former Ilford second claim member, Peter Crane. Hinton clocked 49.25, with Crane just a second in arrears.
* ILFORD AC's Stephen Crane was victorious at the annual Essex County 20 kilometres Walking Championship on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
Crane clocked 1:57.6 to win the individual title. His time was his second 20k personal best of the season.
Holding down second spot for most of the afternoon was back-to-form Steve Allen, but as he began to fade, former event winner Steve Uttley moved up to claim the silver medal in 2:03.09.
- 1 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 2 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 3 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 4 Dagenham boss McMahon 'can't wait' for test against big spenders Wrexham
- 5 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 6 New community food club set to open in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 8 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 9 The tea room in a country park 'building a community' in Dagenham
- 10 Revellers descend on Dagenham for We Are FSTVL
Allen was still rewarded with a respectable time, as he struck bronze in 2:06.52, enabling Ilford to take the team title as well.
Stalwart Bob Dobson pounded out 2:14.19 for ninth spot, and a below-par Dave Sharpe was 12th in 2:35.32.