Steve stars in veterans
ILFORD S Steve Allen won Tuesday evening s veterans five-mile walking race, around three circuits of Battersea Park s Queen s Carriageway. Allen broke the tape in an excellent 45 minutes and 22 seconds, well ahead of Carl Lawton (Belgrave Harriers) in
ILFORD'S Steve Allen won Tuesday evening's veterans' five-mile walking race, around three circuits of Battersea Park's Queen's Carriageway.
Allen broke the tape in an excellent 45 minutes and 22 seconds, well ahead of Carl Lawton (Belgrave Harriers) in 47.47.
Mike Hinton was also in good form, working hard to claim fourth spot in a classy field, with a sprint finish against former Ilford second claim member, Peter Crane. Hinton clocked 49.25, with Crane just a second in arrears.
* ILFORD AC's Stephen Crane was victorious at the annual Essex County 20 kilometres Walking Championship on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
Crane clocked 1:57.6 to win the individual title. His time was his second 20k personal best of the season.
Holding down second spot for most of the afternoon was back-to-form Steve Allen, but as he began to fade, former event winner Steve Uttley moved up to claim the silver medal in 2:03.09.
- 1 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 2 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 3 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Ho-ho-ho! Bingo hall gets visit from Santa for 'Junemas'
- 5 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 6 Dog strips bark off trees in 'terrible act of vandalism' at park in Dagenham
- 7 Air ambulance scrambled after man 'taken ill' in Barking Park
- 8 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 9 Average house price in Barking and Dagenham falls from record high
- 10 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
Allen was still rewarded with a respectable time, as he struck bronze in 2:06.52, enabling Ilford to take the team title as well.
Stalwart Bob Dobson pounded out 2:14.19 for ninth spot, and a below-par Dave Sharpe was 12th in 2:35.32.