Still full of praise for Accrington
DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE manager John Still has praised Saturday s opponents Accrington Stanley after they avoided the threat of closure last week.
by MIKE SIMMONDS
DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE manager John Still has praised Saturday's opponents Accrington Stanley after they avoided the threat of closure last week.
The Lancashire club owed �308,000 to HM Revenue and Customs due to an unpaid tax bill, and could have gone out of business had they not met a deadline a week ago on Wednesday.
But they settled their account and despite the adversity off the field, on the playing front, Stanley have thrived in recent times, winning five out of six home matches.
You may also want to watch:
"Accrington are a club like ourselves, they don't get great crowds and probably go from week to week financially," said the boss, who expects to have Matt Lockwood back, though Danny Spiller remains on the sidelines.
"Everyone has to work hard for that club and I'm pleased that they've been able to sort themselves out.
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 5 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 6 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 7 Barking and Dagenham to develop planning app in new digital tools pilot
- 8 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Urgent call for volunteer stewards at booster jab sites
"It's a tough game for us, their home form is good. They are a hard-working, honest, well-organised team without any glaring individuals.
"Everyone had to do their bit in the last few weeks and the team has responded to what's happened off the pitch which is a credit to them."
If you would like to comment on this story, email: email@example.com
The Post is now on Twitter, so if you follow twitter.com/Post_DagRed then you will get up to the minute updates on goings on at Victoria Road.