Stupid thieves take the bait
POLICE have set a honey trap for thieves by planting goods fitted with tracking devices in burglary hotspots – and someone has already taken the bait. The dummy property was burgled at the weekend along with 18 homes in Barking and Dagenham. Operation Dis
POLICE have set a honey trap for thieves by planting goods fitted with tracking devices in burglary hotspots - and someone has already taken the bait.
The dummy property was burgled at the weekend along with 18 homes in Barking and Dagenham.
Operation Disrupt is part of the Metropolitan wide Operation Spotlight aimed at tackling burglaries.
It involves tracking the stolen property up to the point of sale so police catch the burglars and those handling stolen goods.
Over the last year burglaries increased dramatically rising from just under 700 to 1,200.
DCI Ellie O'Connor, said: "Over 50 per cent of burglaries committed last year were due to unsecure homes.
- 1 Dagenham man in court over Zara Aleena murder
- 2 Jailed: Hornchurch man found with weapons in Dagenham
- 3 More than 300 homes finished at Beam Park as council leader visits
- 4 Man taken to hospital after fight reported on Heathway in Dagenham
- 5 Census 2021: What has changed in your borough since 2011?
- 6 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 7 Man in critical condition after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 8 Council U-turn on plan to 'decommission' supported housing scheme
- 9 Firefighter retires after cancer diagnosis
- 10 'A joy to us all': Zara Aleena's family pay tribute after 'sickening' death
"Residents should always double lock their doors and windows and take out the key and put it somewhere safe.
"As part of Operation Secure we visited over 35,000 addresses, marking property and talking about security.
"If people have been burgled we have a handyman to fit locks. They can call the Safer Neighbourhood Team and he will be sent down."
Victims or witnesses can call 0300 123 1212 or 0800 555 111.
Two people were arrested on Monday following the police sting with a 39-year-old man from Dagenham charged with handing stolen property.