Stupid thieves take the bait
POLICE have set a honey trap for thieves by planting goods fitted with tracking devices in burglary hotspots – and someone has already taken the bait. The dummy property was burgled at the weekend along with 18 homes in Barking and Dagenham. Operation Dis
POLICE have set a honey trap for thieves by planting goods fitted with tracking devices in burglary hotspots - and someone has already taken the bait.
The dummy property was burgled at the weekend along with 18 homes in Barking and Dagenham.
Operation Disrupt is part of the Metropolitan wide Operation Spotlight aimed at tackling burglaries.
It involves tracking the stolen property up to the point of sale so police catch the burglars and those handling stolen goods.
You may also want to watch:
Over the last year burglaries increased dramatically rising from just under 700 to 1,200.
DCI Ellie O'Connor, said: "Over 50 per cent of burglaries committed last year were due to unsecure homes.
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 5 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 8 Parkrun returns to east London: Where can you join in?
- 9 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 10 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
"Residents should always double lock their doors and windows and take out the key and put it somewhere safe.
"As part of Operation Secure we visited over 35,000 addresses, marking property and talking about security.
"If people have been burgled we have a handyman to fit locks. They can call the Safer Neighbourhood Team and he will be sent down."
Victims or witnesses can call 0300 123 1212 or 0800 555 111.
Two people were arrested on Monday following the police sting with a 39-year-old man from Dagenham charged with handing stolen property.