ORIENT manager Geraint Williams will need to bring in at least SEVEN major summer signings - even if all four of the players offered new contracts agree to stay. With a tight budget, Williams is likely to work with a 22-strong squad next season and curre
ORIENT manager Geraint Williams will need to bring in at least SEVEN major summer signings - even if all four of the players offered new contracts agree to stay.
With a tight budget, Williams is likely to work with a 22-strong squad next season and currently has just 10 players under contract.
That figure will become 11 as skipper Stephen Purches has a new deal on the table, automatically triggered after playing a set number of games.
If Sean Thornton, Scott McGleish, Andrew Cave-Brown, and Loick Pires all take up their offers, Williams will have 15 players in his squad, but of those, just EIGHT would be considered front-line players.
You may also want to watch:
With everyone fit, it's unlikely that Cave-Brown, Pires, Glenn Morris, JJ Melligan, Luke Ashworth, Ryan Jarvis and Harry Baker would be in the starting 11.
The current wafer-thin squad, could become even thinner, as midfield star Adam Chambers has been linked with a move to Peterborough, and when any transfer window opens, ace defender Tamika Mkandawire and young star Jason Demetriou are linked with moves away from Brisbane Road.
- 1 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 3 Air ambulance scrambled after man 'taken ill' in Barking Park
- 4 Average house price in Barking and Dagenham falls from record high
- 5 Dog strips bark off trees in 'terrible act of vandalism' at park in Dagenham
- 6 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 7 Topping out milestone for Barking tower block development
- 8 Pictures: We Are FSTVL over the years
- 9 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 10 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
However, the club have shot down speculation regarding Posh's interest in Chambers.
"We've had no contact at all from Peterborough United about Adam Chambers, there's no truth in it," said chief executive Matt Porter on Tuesday.
"And we have had no enquiries about Tamika or Jason either," he added.