Search

Suspected mercy killing case is sent to Old Bailey

PUBLISHED: 17:05 08 December 2008 | UPDATED: 09:54 11 August 2010

A mother accused of murdering her brain damaged son in a suspected mercy killing at a care home should stand trial at the Old Bailey, a judge said last week. Frances Anne Inglis, 56, was already on bail and awaiting trial for a previous attempt to kill 22

A mother accused of murdering her brain damaged son in a suspected mercy killing at a care home should stand trial at the Old Bailey, a judge said last week.

Frances Anne Inglis, 56, was already on bail and awaiting trial for a previous attempt to kill 22-year-old Thomas when she allegedly murdered him last Friday.

Thomas was being treated for head injuries at The Gardens Neurological Nursing Home in Sawbridgeworth, Herts, after being seriously injured in a road crash near his home in September last year.

His mother had been accused of trying to kill him while he was seriously ill in hospital in Essex last December.

The Common Serjeant of London, Judge Brian Barker QC, recommended that the case be switched from St Alban's Crown Court to the Old Bailey, where Inglis was due to be tried for attempted murder next month.

He said: 'This is a particularly serious and concerning case in every aspect.

'It would seem to me that it is better that this court should continue to deal with it.'

Inglis, of Maxey Road, Dagenham, is in custody and did not appear at the brief hearing

The case was adjourned for another pre-trial hearing on December 18.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post