Swing and jazz at the Kenneth More
SWING and jazz have enjoyed a huge rebirth in popularity over the past few years and fans get a chance to experience some of the best exponents when the Five Star Swing Show comes to the Kenneth More Theatre, Ilford, on December 6. The band is led by Bark
SWING and jazz have enjoyed a huge rebirth in popularity over the past few years and fans get a chance to experience some of the best exponents when the Five Star Swing Show comes to the Kenneth More Theatre, Ilford, on December 6.
The band is led by Barkingside-born Chris Smith, who played in Glenn Miller's brother Herb's band and whose father, also called Chris, played trombone for Frank Sinatra on his European tours.
Chris went to Mossford Green Primary School, Barkingside, and began playing the trumpet at the age of seven.
He said: "I was too small to play the trombone at that age. I liked trumpet and kept with it. I also play piano and sing.
"It's great that there's a strong resurgence in jazz and swing music enjoyed by all generations.
"It's still popular now for the same reason it was popular in the 1940s, it's full of life and energy and enthusiasm and it makes people feel good. We're looking forward to bringing swing music back to town."
- 1 Young mother died after flying to Turkey for gastric bypass surgery, inquest hears
- 2 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
- 3 Family of woman who died after surgery in Turkey 'to pursue legal action' in search for truth
- 4 Historic fleet of vehicles moving from Dagenham, Ford confirms
- 5 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 6 Community comes together in photo shoot for new film studio
- 7 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 8 Dagenham woman first UK patient to receive bionic eye implant
- 9 More headliners announced for We Are FSTVL 2022
- 10 Parents to appear in court next month over death of baby boy
His wife Simone, originally from Romford, is also in the band as singer and lead alto sax. She has played with Paul Weller, John Williams and the Ivy Benson Show Band.
The Five Star Swing Show starts at 7.30pm at the theatre in Oakfield Road. Tickets are �13 from the box office on 020 8553 4466.