The Associate - John Grisham
FULL OF the twists and turns expected of John Grisham, his latest legal thriller has distinct echoes of The Firm, his second novel published in 1991. But while smart rookie lawyer Mitch uncovered corrupt goings-on in his massive new firm of attorneys in t
FULL OF the twists and turns expected of John Grisham, his latest legal thriller has distinct echoes of The Firm, his second novel published in 1991.
But while smart rookie lawyer Mitch uncovered corrupt goings-on in his massive new firm of attorneys in that book, smart rookie lawyer Kyle is blackmailed into stealing valuable secrets from his massive new firm of attorneys in The Associate (�18.88, Century).
Kyle McAvoy, 25, is one of the outstanding law students of his generation and, consequently, can choose a job in any firm he wants.
But he has a secret from his past, a secret that threatens to destroy his fledgling career and, possibly, land him in jail.
You may also want to watch:
A wild child fellow college student claims two of Kyle's friends raped her at a party and that Kyle was there, too. The police weren't convinced and it seemed the allegation had gone away.
But one evening, Kyle is confronted by some shadowy men with a compromising video of the incident. And while it's clear he wasn't involved, if the video is made public, the consequences could still ruin him.
- 1 Barking butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 3 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 4 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 5 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 6 'The entire game will mourn him': Tributes to football great Jimmy Greaves
- 7 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 8 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
The men demand a high price for keeping Kyle's secret. He must take a job as an associate with the largest law firm in the world and pass on to them the secrets of its biggest trial to date - a dispute between two defence contractors worth billions of dollars.
Exhausted by the outrageously long hours expected of its new associates by Scully & Pershing, and under constant surveillance by the dangerous men blackmailing him - men who, he soon realises, are quite capable of murder - can Kyle extricate himself without destroying his future?
This is the usual pacy and enthralling adventure expected of Grisham, along with his usual eye for detail in the way law firms work.
- LINDSAY JONES