The Last Post album re-released
IF YOU were going to live gigs in the area about 25 years ago, you probably remember a loud and upfront band called The Last Post. The six-piece – Roy Weard on vocals, Steve Bensusan on guitar and vocals, Ronnie Raymond, bass, vocals, Dave Owen on guitar
IF YOU were going to live gigs in the area about 25 years ago, you probably remember a loud and upfront band called The Last Post.
The six-piece - Roy Weard on vocals, Steve Bensusan on guitar and vocals, Ronnie Raymond, bass, vocals, Dave Owen on guitar and flute, Mel Evans on drums and Paul Watson on keyboards - generated a strong following and soon moved into playing most of the larger East End venues, like The Bridge House, Canning Town, and The Ruskin Arms, Manor Park.
They even released an album, Fallout, and sold it around the venues they played in.
Well, on Sunday, that album was re-released as a CD, with a launch party played at The Bridge House 11, Canning Town, by Roy's new band, That Legendary Wooden Lion.
You may also want to watch:
Roy explains: "When The Last Post folded, I went off to tour with Manfred Mann and then worked for 18 years as a live sound engineer.
"About three years ago I met up with the keyboard player I had worked with back in 1971 in The Cardinal Biggles.
- 1 Barking butcher 'thankful' for loyal customers through pandemic
- 2 Former council offices to be transformed into 'workspace and cultural hub'
- 3 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 4 Dagenham school receives Unicef UK award
- 5 Barking and Dagenham Council chief executive to depart
- 6 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 7 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 8 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 9 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 10 No disgrace as Dagenham fall to first defeat of the season
"And he suggested we did some more music. The upshot of this was a new band called That Legendary Wooden Lion."
The line-up sees Roy teaming up again with Alan Essex (The Cardinal Biggles) and Steve Bensusan. They are joined by Chris Cottage on bass and Chris Mott on drums.
Roy says: "The band has been gigging for a year now and we have re-connected with many of the old fans from back in the old Bridge House days."
If you're interested in getting hold of Fallout on CD, contact The Bridge House 11, Bidder Street, on 020 7474 3200.