The Last Station (15)
FAMOUS Russian writer LeoTolstoy, having rejected his title of count and embraced an ascetic lifestyle, finds himself increasingly at odds with his wife, Sofya. As his devoted disciple, Vladimir Chertkov, urges the ageing author to sign a new will leaving
FAMOUS Russian writer LeoTolstoy, having rejected his title of count and embraced an ascetic lifestyle, finds himself increasingly at odds with his wife, Sofya.
As his devoted disciple, Vladimir Chertkov, urges the ageing author to sign a new will leaving the rights to his work to the Russian people rather than his family, the conflict between husband and wife grows to breaking point.
THE LAST STATION (15) is set during the last year of Tolstoy's life and stars Christopher Plummer as the writer, Helen Mirren as his wife, James McAvoy, Anne-Marie Duff and Paul Giamatti.
Plummer says: "I'm thrilled to be playing this role. I jumped at the chance. I have a history of playing real-life figures such as Rudyard Kipling and the Duke of Wellington, and I always love the challenge. I enjoy the research, and if they put enough make-up on, it does the work for you!"
You may also want to watch:
What Christopher relished above all was bringing out Tolstoy's contradictory nature: "He's such a hypocrite. He says he'll free the peasants, while living the life of an aristocrat! He says he will help the tsar liberate the serfs, and yet still sits down at the dinner-table attended by servants!
- 1 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 2 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 'Not a matter of shifting blame': Port victim's family receives another apology from detectives on case
- 5 Stephen Port inquests: Police failed to flag up 'significant' incident
- 6 Barking and Dagenham girls' district suffer heavy defeat to Chelmsford
- 7 Darren Rodwell: 'I attended Tory conference to lobby for underground A13'
- 8 'Life is hard, why make it harder?': Protesters call for new consultation over parking scheme roll out
- 9 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 10 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock