The Proposal (12A)
WHEN high-powered book editor Margaret faces deportation to her native Canada, the quick-thinking exec declares that she s actually engaged to marry her unsuspecting, put-upon assistant Andrew, who she s tormented for years. He agrees to participate in th
WHEN high-powered book editor Margaret faces deportation to her native Canada, the quick-thinking exec declares that she's actually engaged to marry her unsuspecting, put-upon assistant Andrew, who she's tormented for years.
He agrees to participate in the charade, but with a few conditions.
And when the unlikely couple head to Alaska to meet his quirky family, the always-in-control city girl finds herself in one fish-out-of-water situation after another.
Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds star in THE PROPOSAL (12A).
You may also want to watch:
There was one element above all others that attracted director Anne Fletcher to the film - the comedy.
"I love comedy so much and it's always been in my fibre," says Fletcher. "I was in improv and sketch comedy troupes. Comedy makes me the happiest. After directing Step Up, my goal was to do a comedy. But you can't just jump into it. You have to prove yourself a little bit."
- 1 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 3 Air ambulance scrambled after man 'taken ill' in Barking Park
- 4 Dog strips bark off trees in 'terrible act of vandalism' at park in Dagenham
- 5 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 6 Ho-ho-ho! Bingo hall gets visit from Santa for 'Junemas'
- 7 Average house price in Barking and Dagenham falls from record high
- 8 'Always smiling' former mayoress turns 100
- 9 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 10 Dagenham & Redbridge release six as they announce retained list
She proved herself with romantic comedy 27 Dresses.
"I got to exercise my comedy a bit. And then this came along, The Proposal, and it had so much comedy in it.
"Sandra Bullock is a female comic genius. There really isn't anybody on her level. I've been completely and utterly spoiled by her professionalism, her talent, her mind, her sense of humour, her sense of being.
"And Ryan Reynolds is one of a kind - Jack Lemmon and Chevy Chase combined."
And Bullock says: "Margaret was written the way they usually write the male roles, which are usually the juiciest.
"They're allowed to be complex, unattractive, crabby, difficult, fun and funny, which is not how female characters are usually written."
Co-star Ryan Reynolds agrees: "Typically, comedies are male driven. I love it when it's the other way around. Here, Sandy's character is the oppressor.