The Smiths on song in debut
FOUR racers from the Hainault Roads Club took part in Saturday s 10-mile time trial promoted by the Eastern Counties Cycling Association near Newmarket. Veterans Mark Steers and Howard Staunton managed to take advantage of the strong tailwind on the retu
FOUR racers from the Hainault Roads Club took part in Saturday's 10-mile time trial promoted by the Eastern Counties Cycling Association near Newmarket.
Veterans Mark Steers and Howard Staunton managed to take advantage of the strong tailwind on the return half, to clock times of 21 minutes 14 seconds and 21.44 respectively.
Former club champion Paul Gee wasn't far behind when he stopped the clock in 23.30, but the true champions of the day were brothers Matthew and Patrick Smith.
As junior members of the club, both in their first season, this was their debut open race, with Pat still having not broken the golden 'evens' time of 30 minutes for a 10-mile TT.
You may also want to watch:
Matthew pulled off a terrific ride and came home with a time of 27.59, slashing his personal best by almost a minute-and-a-half.
Patrick battled hard with the wind, but dug deep to produce the best ride of his life when he crossed the line in 29.50, finally breaking the 30-minute barrier, whilst knocking a massive two and a half minutes from his PB.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 7 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Daggers boss McMahon 'very pleased' with Southend United victory
- 10 Sam Ling inspires Dagenham to Southend victory
The race was won by Lee Bark of Stowmarket & District CC Orbea Porsche Autostrasse in 19.35.