Thugs facing prison for bloody gang war
FOUR thugs are facing jail after being convicted of taking part in an armed street battle between black and white students. Adeniyi Ajani and Ajibola Akinyosade, both 21, and Ola Akinyi and David Imevbore, 20, clashed with rival sixth-formers from Haverin
FOUR thugs are facing jail after being convicted of taking part in an armed street battle between black and white students.
Adeniyi Ajani and Ajibola Akinyosade, both 21, and Ola Akinyi and David Imevbore, 20, clashed with rival sixth-formers from Havering College in Ardleigh Green.
Terrified mothers and young children screamed in panic as they watched a number of students, including Imevbore, suffer stab wounds.
One eye-witness told the trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court: "I saw a pool of blood, children were screaming."
You may also want to watch:
Other onlookers in busy Ardleigh Green Road saw yobs smash rival gang members' car windows with hammers.
College security guards had earlier confronted the warring youths on campus before violence later erupted outside the school gates.
- 1 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 2 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 3 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 4 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 5 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 6 Man wanted in criminal damage investigation
- 7 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 8 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 10 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
Jurors took more than 10 hours to unanimously convict the louts of violent disorder on March 12, 2007.
Judge Timothy Lamb QC remanded Akinyi in custody while Ajani, Akinyosade and Imevbore were bailed.
But the judge warned: "All sentencing options will be open" when the four return to court on April 24.
Kurtis Mullins, 21, James Short, 20, and Anthony De Silva, 19, were all cleared of violent disorder.
Ajani, of Lillechurch Road, Dagenham; Akinyi, of Wood Lane, Dagenham; Imevbore, of Althorne Way, Dagenham; and Akinyosade, of Dagenham Road, Rainham, were all convicted of violent disorder.
Short, of Dereham Road, Barking, Mullins, of Corporation Street, Stratford; and De Silva, of Maplin Road, Canning Town, were cleared of violent disorder.
Ten yobs, including several Havering College students, were all cleared of violent disorder in December last year after a separate mass brawl outside Upminster Bridge tube station back in January 2007.
POLICE are renewing appeals for witnesses after a Dagenham man was found dead in a burning car just before Christmas last year.
The body of Kingsley Babatunde Osho, 48, was discovered by fire-fighters as they tackled a fire that had ripped through his dark Honda Accord.
Mr Osho's vehicle exploded and burst into flames while parked on the Mowlem Trading Estate, Leeside Road, Walthamstow.
The circumstances surrounding his death are still shrouded in mystery but police are not treating it as suspicious.
Fire-fighters called police to the scene at around 1am on Wednesday December 17.
They reported finding a body inside the car after the fire had been put out.
Mr Osho, of Rugby Road, Dagenham, was discovered in the front passenger's seat and pronounced dead at the scene.
A post-mortem was carried out at Hornsey Mortuary where the cause of death was given as exposure to fire and fume inhalation.
An investigation was carried out by police and London fire brigade at the time but the cause of the fire and Mr Osho's death are still unclear.
Officers are very keen to trace two white men seen running nearby when the vehicle exploded.
A police spokesman said: "We would urgently like these two men to come forward as they may have valuable information surrounding this incident.
"We would like to reiterate that we wish to speak to them as witnesses."
An inquest was opened at Hornsey Coroner's Court and adjourned until July 29 this year.
If you have information about Mr Osho's movements that night then please call police on 0208 785 8224.
Or to remain anonymous contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
A VITAL role in supporting victims of domestic violence could be lost if funding cannot be found.
The important position is held by Louise Choppy, who helps the most vulnerable people in our community.
Economic recession has badly affected charities and Barking and Dagenham Victim Support fear they will lose her post without more money coming in.
Domestic violence is the area's highest volume crime - costing the borough around �85million a year.
Manager of victim support, Shelley Hart said: "We deal with all victims regardless of age, sex, race or religion.
"We support male victims and children too. Domestic violence against children is sadly on the increase in this borough.
"If we do not secure good funding we could lose Louise's position.
"She has dealt with around 1,000 domestic violence cases since August last year."
Barking and Dagenham victim support help tackle low to medium level domestic violence with high level cases handled by advocates at the council.
However they provide a crucial service, treating the problem at its roots and preventing violent actions from escalating.
But the charity based in St George's Road, Dagenham, is in desperate need of funds.
Last Thursday (April 2) Superintendent Dave Reed presented a cheque for �5,000 to Shelley, who fears that without vital aid from the police and other donations the charity cannot afford a domestic violence officer.
Shelley said: "I'm delighted with the money. It will go towards keeping Louise in her post.
"We want to be there to provide the kind of support victims need when they find themselves in an impossible situation."
If you would like to make a donation to victim support, call Shelley on 020 8595 4455.
POLYCLINICS and the demise of the single GP practice were discussed at the council Assembly meeting last week.
It was agreed by most members that small surgeries were no longer equipped to provide the diverse services required.
Councillor Marie West gave a report on the final findings on GP services by the health scrutiny board which favoured the "hub and spoke" model of healthcare.
The "hub" is a large health centre that houses a smaller GP practice and would serve up to 10,000 patients.
Cllr West said: "We went out into the community and though the subject is vast I believe we have made terrific progress.
"Residents in this borough are still concerned about their GP's services and what they can and cannot provide.
"Families should not have to travel to the other side of the borough for healthcare."
However there has been some opposition to polyclinics from GPs with smaller surgeries who believe the larger health centres will drive them out of business.
In last week's POST we reported that Dr Saibal De, from The Gables surgery in Markyate Road, was worried the new Porters Avenue health centre would "poach" patients.
Dr De said: "This support for polyclinics is going to put me and other GPs out of business.
"I am not the only doctor who feels this way. Many others are worried too.
"The council say they have consulted residents but none of my patients were consulted. They have a petition to stop polyclinics with 3,000 names."
Problems experienced by patients such as waiting times, opening hours and access to minor procedures such as X-ray and ultrasound were also discussed by the Assembly.
It was felt that polyclinics, such as the one in Broadway, Barking, or large "hub" clinics are the answer.
The new Barking Hospital development, due to open in 2011, will offer a range of services families did not previously have access to unless they travelled out of the borough.
On April 1 the Assembly agreed the health scrutiny panel's recommendations.
A MAN died after suffering stab wounds on Easter Monday evening when police were called to a Barking pub.
Police and the London Ambulance Service were called at 9.02pm on to the Victoria public house, Axe Street, Barking to reports of a stabbing.
Officers and ambulance workers arrived to find a 45-year-old man suffering from stab wounds.