Title glory for youths
Woodford 40 Chelmsford 5 WOODFORD under-15s secured the Essex Division One title at the weekend after a superb victory over Chelmsford.
Woodford 40 Chelmsford 5
WOODFORD under-15s secured the Essex Division One title at the weekend after a superb victory over Chelmsford.
After winning promotion last season, the youngsters went one better to wrap up the title against a team fielding five Essex players.
Woodford attacked from the start with Alistair Nicholls twice coming close to opening the scoring, before Matt Grogan did after crashing over from a great break from scrum-half Cameron Dutch.
The next score was a definite candidate for try of the season, with every member of the front row and second row linking down the right wing, allowing prop Ian Bukenya to touch down.
Ryan Davis converted to give Woodford a 12-0 lead and there was no looking back.
- 1 Man in 50s in hospital after Dagenham stabbing
- 2 Barking and Dagenham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 3 Murder charge after man, 60, found fatally injured in Dagenham
- 4 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 5 Local 18-year-old filmmaker gears up for ‘ambitious’ first feature-length film
- 6 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 7 Gun shots fired in Dagenham
- 8 Bleed kit in memory of doorman Ricky Hayden installed outside nightclub
- 9 Summer of Festivals Weekender draws thousands to Parsloes Park
- 10 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
A lovely try followed from centre Liam Sanderson, who dummied his way through the Chelmsford defence to score a great individual effort, while Davis again converted.
Not to be outdone, top scorer James Piras then picked the ball up in his own 22-metre area and sprinted nearly the length of the pitch, handing off several Chelmsford defenders to score another superb try.
Matt Grogan went over once more as Woodford's first-half performance was complete.
After the break, the hosts took their foot off the gas and allowed Chelmsford to score a consolation try, but centre Alex Stroud scored a superb solo effort under the posts to cement victory for Woodford.
Woodford face Braintree next Sunday in the semi-final of the Essex Cup.
n Woodford under-15s B also enjoyed an excellent win, as they beat Chelmsford B 39-0.