Title win for super Smith
WEST HAM BC S Chris Smith won his first national title when he brought home an ABA junior award from the finals, at the Everton Sports Centre, Liverpool at the weekend. He sparkled against John Roberts of Worcester City, who rushed on to the attack and wa
WEST HAM BC'S Chris Smith won his first national title when he brought home an ABA junior award from the finals, at the Everton Sports Centre, Liverpool at the weekend.
He sparkled against John Roberts of Worcester City, who rushed on to the attack and was shaken as Smith countered with sharp jabs followed by right hooks.
Smith upped the pace against his game rival in the second, and finished with a slight lead going into the last.
The West Ham hope then switched gears to pile up the points in style and finished a well-deserved 6-1 points winner.
You may also want to watch:
However, his Hammers' clubmate Charlie Hoy lost on points to Chris Blinkhorn of Bolton's Withins BC by a 4-2 margin.
The taller northern entry boxed on his back foot and although Hoy stormed on to the attack in the last round, his effort wasn't enough according to the judges, and Blinkhorn took the title.
- 1 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 3 Air ambulance scrambled after man 'taken ill' in Barking Park
- 4 Dog strips bark off trees in 'terrible act of vandalism' at park in Dagenham
- 5 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 6 Average house price in Barking and Dagenham falls from record high
- 7 Ho-ho-ho! Bingo hall gets visit from Santa for 'Junemas'
- 8 'Always smiling' former mayoress turns 100
- 9 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 10 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London