Tom in Brisbane writes
I think what a lot of people don t remember about Neill s decision to come to the Hammers was primarily about game time and not money. As Australia s captain it was essential that he maximised time on the pitch to ensure selection in our WC qualification
I think what a lot of people don't remember about Neill's decision to come to the Hammers was primarily about game time and not money.
As Australia's captain it was essential that he maximised time on the pitch to ensure selection in our WC qualification campaign, as the national manager made it clear that club squad players (even at big 4 clubs) would not necessarily make the first 11.
Granted that seemed to affect his club commitment levels (as for all the Aussie players who prior to '06 had not seen their country in the WC finals in their lifetime), and I think it will be a big part of his next move too.
Kewell going to Galatasaray is a case in point (as they have been linked with Neill as well) - Australia play a lot of their WC and AFC qualifiers in the Middle East so Turkey is an attractive option in a WC year.
You may also want to watch:
Good luck to the Hammers next season.
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 6 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 7 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 8 Former child refugee who founded Barking women's service up for award
- 9 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 10 Parkrun returns to east London: Where can you join in?