Town’s hopes are shattered
CANNING TOWN were given a harsh introduction to The FA Vase, after they were thumped 7-0 by Erith Town at the weekend. This was the first time an Essex Olympian League side had competed in the competition and the higher standard proved too much on the day
CANNING TOWN were given a harsh introduction to The FA Vase, after they were thumped 7-0 by Erith Town at the weekend.
This was the first time an Essex Olympian League side had competed in the competition and the higher standard proved too much on the day for the east London side.
Canning conceded two early goals from set pieces, and from that point on there was no way back for the underdogs.
Canning club secretary, Terry Cordrey, was upbeat despite his side's heavy defeat, insisting the team have more potential than they were able to show against Saturday's higher-ranked opposition.
"Erith were certainly favourites and unfortunately it was a fair result on the day," he told thefa.com.
"It was a bad day for us, we didn't start very well and it was difficult to come back from that.
- 1 'I just shut my eyes': Murder accused tells of moment he ran over victim
- 2 Man sublet his council property in Barking while living in West Yorkshire
- 3 Fourth man charged with murder of Dagenham man Tomasz Waga
- 4 Eastbury Manor House to reopen 'as soon as possible'
- 5 Woman treated at scene of blaze at Dagenham block of flats
- 6 Dagenham & Redbridge rally to win at Weymouth
- 7 Young mother died after flying to Turkey for gastric bypass surgery, inquest hears
- 8 Have your say on the proposed east London constituency boundary changes
- 9 'He will not survive the cold': Family fear for missing Sphynx cat
- 10 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
"It was disappointing all round.
"We were a little nervous and didn't really contest the game."
Cordrey now hopes Canning can put the defeat behind them and go on to enjoy a successful season.
"We aim to be in contention for the League," he said.
"For the rest of the season we should do well.
"There is the Essex Senior Cup and the Essex Olympian League, which is a good standard.
"Hopefully we'll be able to get something out of it.