Toy shop paedophile jailed
A TOY shop worker who groomed youngsters with learning difficulties for sex was jailed indefinitely on Friday. Shaun Johnson, 23, of Sebastian Court, Barking, carried out a string of sickening assaults on four victims aged eight to 18 – three of whom ha
A TOY shop worker who "groomed" youngsters with learning difficulties for sex was jailed indefinitely on Friday.
Shaun Johnson, 23, of Sebastian Court, Barking, carried out a string of sickening assaults on four victims aged eight to 18 - three of whom have learning disabilities.
Somerfield supermarket employee Johnson worked part-time at Smyths Toys in Chadwell Heath, and attended a children's karate club.
Judge Wendy Joseph QC told him: "You are a predatory paedophile who is prepared to work himself into situations where you have access to children."
You may also want to watch:
She added: "You will never be released unless a parole board deem the public is safe from you."
Johnson must serve a minimum of seven and a half years inside before he can apply to a parole board.
- 1 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 3 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 4 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 5 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 6 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 7 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 8 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 9 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 10 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
Victim statements were read to the court in which it was revealed the youngest had attempted to take his own life after he was molested.
The boy, now aged nine, told Snaresbrook Crown Court via a live video link: "I was shouting for my mum."
Johnson's ex-girlfriend told the court he showed her no affection and used her as his "beard" of heterosexuality to prey on boys.
She later became suspicious of Johnson's interest in the youngsters and finished their sham relationship, she said.
Johnson denied abusing the boys, claiming he enjoyed innocent play fights with his victims.
He was convicted of six counts of sexual activity with a male, four counts of sexual assault, seven of sexual activity with a person with a mental disorder impeding choice, inciting a male child to engage in sexual activity and rape.
The judge passed a sexual offences prevention order, banning Johnson from being unaccompanied with boys under 18 and young people with mental disabilities. He is prevented from working in toy shops and family holiday resorts and was ordered to sign the sex offenders' register for life.