Toy shop paedophile jailed
A TOY shop worker who groomed youngsters with learning difficulties for sex was jailed indefinitely on Friday. Shaun Johnson, 23, of Sebastian Court, Barking, carried out a string of sickening assaults on four victims aged eight to 18 – three of whom ha
A TOY shop worker who "groomed" youngsters with learning difficulties for sex was jailed indefinitely on Friday.
Shaun Johnson, 23, of Sebastian Court, Barking, carried out a string of sickening assaults on four victims aged eight to 18 - three of whom have learning disabilities.
Somerfield supermarket employee Johnson worked part-time at Smyths Toys in Chadwell Heath, and attended a children's karate club.
Judge Wendy Joseph QC told him: "You are a predatory paedophile who is prepared to work himself into situations where you have access to children."
You may also want to watch:
She added: "You will never be released unless a parole board deem the public is safe from you."
Johnson must serve a minimum of seven and a half years inside before he can apply to a parole board.
- 1 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 2 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 3 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 4 Ho-ho-ho! Bingo hall gets visit from Santa for 'Junemas'
- 5 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 6 Dog strips bark off trees in 'terrible act of vandalism' at park in Dagenham
- 7 Air ambulance scrambled after man 'taken ill' in Barking Park
- 8 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 9 Average house price in Barking and Dagenham falls from record high
- 10 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
Victim statements were read to the court in which it was revealed the youngest had attempted to take his own life after he was molested.
The boy, now aged nine, told Snaresbrook Crown Court via a live video link: "I was shouting for my mum."
Johnson's ex-girlfriend told the court he showed her no affection and used her as his "beard" of heterosexuality to prey on boys.
She later became suspicious of Johnson's interest in the youngsters and finished their sham relationship, she said.
Johnson denied abusing the boys, claiming he enjoyed innocent play fights with his victims.
He was convicted of six counts of sexual activity with a male, four counts of sexual assault, seven of sexual activity with a person with a mental disorder impeding choice, inciting a male child to engage in sexual activity and rape.
The judge passed a sexual offences prevention order, banning Johnson from being unaccompanied with boys under 18 and young people with mental disabilities. He is prevented from working in toy shops and family holiday resorts and was ordered to sign the sex offenders' register for life.