Travellers evicted ahead of Dagenham festival
- Credit: Archant
Travellers who pitched up at Parsloes Park - which is due to host a major family fun day tomorrow - have been evicted.
The 45-strong group turned up at the Dagenham park last night after being moved on from nearby Mayesbrook Park, just weeks after they were evicted from Castle Green.
Police used powers under section 61 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 to remove the travellers quickly.
During the eviction process there was a significant police and council presence with a council security staff located on every park gate throughout the borough to ensure that they could not relocate to another site.
A council spokeswoman said the One Borough One community day in Parsloes Park will run as scheduled, from 11am to 10pm tomorrow.
You may also want to watch:
“We would like to reassure everyone that the event is going ahead as planned, we have security on site and we do not envisage any problems with the programmed activities,” she added.
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 3 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 6 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 9 'Singling out developers to sort out the cladding scandal'
- 10 Column: Pride and trust continues to grow in Dagenham squad