Travellers to be evicted from Dagenham park
PUBLISHED: 15:40 23 July 2015
Enforcement officers are taking action to evict a group of travellers illegally pitched in a Dagenham park tomorrow.
The council have been successful in obtaining a direction to leave order from magistrates so the group will be forced to move on from Mayesbrook Park.
Around 45 caravans set up camp there on Friday – two and half weeks after Barking and Dagenham council were granted an eviction notice to remove them from Castle Green.
On Monday enforcement officers served a notice giving the travellers 24 hours to vacate the land.
A council spokesman said: “Enforcement officers will be taking action to evict the travellers tomorrow.
“In the meantime, we will keep all options open and legal advice on an injunction is being sought”.
The council believe the travellers are the same group who were evicted from Castle Green earlier this month.
They were moved on after camping on Abbey Green in Barking Town Centre in June.
A 27-year-old woman, who lives in the Academy Central residential development next to Mayesbrook Park, said there are lots of cars and vans “driving in and out of the park constantly”.
She added: “It doesn’t seem safe especially as most people don’t expect to have to keep looking behind them for cars and vans in the middle of a park.”
Some took to Facebook to voice their concerns about the group, with Maureen Webb Sheekey posting: “Something more has to be done but I don’t suppose it’s the local MPs they are upsetting.”
Sally Peacock added: “I’m surprised [they] haven’t camped in Mayesbrook Park sooner. There are so many entrances that aren’t gated or locked. People can (and do) drive around the paths, so why no one in the council has ever realised this could happen is a bit of a joke.”
However, Kezza Debs pointed out: “They stayed away for the Queen’s visit.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.