Search

Tumble dryer explosion forces woman to evacuate Chadwell Heath home at night

PUBLISHED: 08:48 13 December 2017 | UPDATED: 08:48 13 December 2017

Firefighters tackled a fire in Chadwell Heath. Picture: London Fire Brigade

Firefighters tackled a fire in Chadwell Heath. Picture: London Fire Brigade

Archant

A woman whose tumble dryer caught fire after exploding late at night had to leave her bungalow in the early hours of this morning.

Two fire crews from Dagenham, plus a fire investigation unit, were alerted to the incident in Melbourne Gardens, Chadwell Heath, shortly after midnight.

An attending fire brigade officer said the woman had reported a bang and but had manged to turn off the electrics before leaving the house so any smoke damage was largely contained to the room in which it started.

He said: “She was the calmest woman I have ever seen in my life.”

Fire crews were finished by 12.30am but remained there until 2.50am until the fire investigation unit was done.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post