Two jailed for freeing prisoner
TWO MEN who helped an armed robber escape from outside Barking Court, sparking a police manhunt, began jail terms yesterday. Dion Williams and Joseph Turner were sentenced to a total of 14 years for releasing Joseph s brother Tony Turner in April 2008. W
TWO MEN who helped an armed robber escape from outside Barking Court, sparking a police manhunt, began jail terms yesterday.
Dion Williams and Joseph Turner were sentenced to a total of 14 years for releasing Joseph's brother Tony Turner in April 2008.
Williams, 24, of Ramsgate, Kent, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to pervert justice, assisting an offender, attempted robbery and possession of an imitation gun. He was jailed for 10 years.
Joseph Turner, 21, of Vincent Road, Dagenham, was found guilty of conspiracy to pervert justice, following his brother's trial. He was sentenced to four years.
You may also want to watch:
Tony Turner was due to appear at Barking Court for armed robbery last year when Williams and Joseph Turner freed him from a security van in Clockhouse Road, behind the courthouse.
After threatening the guards with guns they escaped in a Jaguar which was later found abandoned.
- 1 Five men from Barking charged after gun raids
- 2 Calls to remove Dagenham 5G mast after blaze
- 3 New freeport in Dagenham gets the green light from the chancellor
- 4 Dagenham man sentenced to life for raping teenage girl in his wife's car
- 5 Stabbing in Barking leaves man fighting for his life
- 6 Police raid Barking addresses in operation to stop revenge gang attacks
- 7 Council tax is rising by five per cent in Barking and Dagenham
- 8 'Half of 5G phone mast' in Dagenham left damaged by late night fire
- 9 'Appallingly dirty' Dagenham shop doubling up as 'substandard' hotel
- 10 Future is bright for borough's youth
Turner was was found in a hotel in Essex with his partner Kirsten Morton, 21, of Harold Hill who pleaded guilty and will be sentenced on April 24.
Turner pleaded guilty to robbery and possession of firearms December 4 2008 and was jailed for 16 years.