Two jailed for freeing prisoner
TWO MEN who helped an armed robber escape from outside Barking Court, sparking a police manhunt, began jail terms yesterday. Dion Williams and Joseph Turner were sentenced to a total of 14 years for releasing Joseph s brother Tony Turner in April 2008. W
TWO MEN who helped an armed robber escape from outside Barking Court, sparking a police manhunt, began jail terms yesterday.
Dion Williams and Joseph Turner were sentenced to a total of 14 years for releasing Joseph's brother Tony Turner in April 2008.
Williams, 24, of Ramsgate, Kent, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to pervert justice, assisting an offender, attempted robbery and possession of an imitation gun. He was jailed for 10 years.
Joseph Turner, 21, of Vincent Road, Dagenham, was found guilty of conspiracy to pervert justice, following his brother's trial. He was sentenced to four years.
Tony Turner was due to appear at Barking Court for armed robbery last year when Williams and Joseph Turner freed him from a security van in Clockhouse Road, behind the courthouse.
After threatening the guards with guns they escaped in a Jaguar which was later found abandoned.
- 1 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 2 No injuries after car and van collide in Dagenham Heathway
- 3 Jailed: Dagenham man pressed groin against pregnant woman on Tube train
- 4 Jailed: Hornchurch man found with weapons in Dagenham
- 5 Dagenham man in court over Zara Aleena murder
- 6 Vigil to be held this Saturday for 'pure of heart' Zara Aleena
- 7 Census 2021 indicates baby boom in one east London borough
- 8 Latest data shows Covid admissions rising again at east London hospitals
- 9 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 10 Man taken to hospital after fight reported on Heathway in Dagenham
Turner was was found in a hotel in Essex with his partner Kirsten Morton, 21, of Harold Hill who pleaded guilty and will be sentenced on April 24.
Turner pleaded guilty to robbery and possession of firearms December 4 2008 and was jailed for 16 years.