Two jailed for freeing prisoner
TWO MEN who helped an armed robber escape from outside Barking Court, sparking a police manhunt, began jail terms yesterday. Dion Williams and Joseph Turner were sentenced to a total of 14 years for releasing Joseph s brother Tony Turner in April 2008. W
TWO MEN who helped an armed robber escape from outside Barking Court, sparking a police manhunt, began jail terms yesterday.
Dion Williams and Joseph Turner were sentenced to a total of 14 years for releasing Joseph's brother Tony Turner in April 2008.
Williams, 24, of Ramsgate, Kent, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to pervert justice, assisting an offender, attempted robbery and possession of an imitation gun. He was jailed for 10 years.
Joseph Turner, 21, of Vincent Road, Dagenham, was found guilty of conspiracy to pervert justice, following his brother's trial. He was sentenced to four years.
Tony Turner was due to appear at Barking Court for armed robbery last year when Williams and Joseph Turner freed him from a security van in Clockhouse Road, behind the courthouse.
After threatening the guards with guns they escaped in a Jaguar which was later found abandoned.
- 1 'Something is going on': Second dead rabbit found in a week
- 2 Car park murder: Witness describes moment John Avers was run over
- 3 Man hospitalised after being found in Mayesbrook Park
- 4 Barking resident charged over death of baby boy
- 5 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 6 Dodgy landlord ordered to pay £64k over illegal HMO on Ripple Road
- 7 Barking and Dagenham set for 250 new electric vehicle charging points
- 8 Car park murder: 'Distressing' CCTV shows victim being run over four times
- 9 Car park murder: Victim's wife tells trial about the last text he sent her
- 10 Man run over four times embroiled in row over £40,000, murder trial told
Turner was was found in a hotel in Essex with his partner Kirsten Morton, 21, of Harold Hill who pleaded guilty and will be sentenced on April 24.
Turner pleaded guilty to robbery and possession of firearms December 4 2008 and was jailed for 16 years.