Unattended candles cause house fire in Barking
- Credit: London Fire Brigade
Part of a terraced house in Barking has been destroyed after unattended candles caused a fire to break out.
Firefighters were called to the blaze in Cranleigh Gardens late on Tuesday (March 16) night, after a resident discovered the fire when they could smell burning in the bedroom.
They attempted to tackle the fire themselves before leaving the property; five people left the building before the brigade arrived and one woman was treated on the scene.
Firefighters found that there were no working smoke alarms within the property, so installed some before they left.
Part of the first floor of the terraced house was destroyed by the blaze, believed to have been caused by an unattended candle.
You may also want to watch:
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Candles, incense sticks and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave them unattended and keep them away from anything that could catch fire such as curtains, furniture or clothes."
- 1 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 2 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 3 Jailed: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Dagenham man who plotted terrorist attack
- 4 Becontree Estate designed after Spanish Flu 'helped prevent Covid deaths'
- 5 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 6 Light festival sees cyclists brighten up Barking and Dagenham streets
- 7 Views sought on Sebastian Court community space
- 8 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 9 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 10 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford