Search

Underpass mugging

PUBLISHED: 17:12 03 December 2008 | UPDATED: 10:54 11 August 2010

A 71-YEAR-OLD man was beaten to the ground by a group of thugs as he walked past a notorious subway. The pensioner was attacked near the underpass linking the Mark s Gate Estate to East Road, Chadwell Heath. Residents say it is the latest in a series of m

A 71-YEAR-OLD man was beaten to the ground by a group of thugs as he walked past a notorious subway.

The pensioner was attacked near the underpass linking the Mark's Gate Estate to East Road, Chadwell Heath.

Residents say it is the latest in a series of muggings and assaults committed by a group of youths.

The 71-year-old victim was walking home from the bus stop on the Chadwell Heath side of the A12 at 3.30pm on November 18.

He was bundled to the ground and kicked by a gang of yobs, but luckily a passing ambulance stopped and the attackers ran off.

The Asian victim was taken to hospital and treated for a shoulder injury and is now recovering.

Murali Krishnam, 44, who lives near the subway, has been seriously assaulted twice, most recently at the end of October.

He said: "It was 4.30pm and I was coming through the subway with my shopping.

"I saw one boy running up behind me. He asked me the time and all of a sudden he started hitting me in the back and in the head. I tried to block his punches and I saw another guy running towards me.

"I thought something bad was going to happen so I started running."

Mr Krishnam tripped over and hit his face on the pavement, losing two teeth and suffering cuts to his lip.

Two years ago he was also beaten up in the same place. But he says things have got worse in recent months.

His eldest son was robbed at the bus stop by thugs who threatened to stab him.

A spokeswoman for Barking and Dagenham Police said: "There have been a number of offences around this subway, and steps are being taken to deal with the youths involved.

"An action plan that involves us and other borough partners enforcing anti-social behaviour orders and contracts along with extra patrols at the location has been underway for some time.

"Police believe the attacks are racially motivated. Out of seven incidents reported, five victims were Asian, one was white, and one was black."

She added that the attack on the 71-year-old happened in Redbridge, but the majority of assaults had been in Barking and Dagenham.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post